1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Massive senior leaders problems at school

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Hoping2012, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

At my school we are having a lot of problems with the senior leaders, they are making decisions that are wrong and then to cover their disorganisation they over loading staff with so much work.

How can we go about getting someone to see what the senior leaders are doing is correct or not???

2. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

To union?

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Wrong as in unprofessional or illegal?
    Or wrong as in plain daft?

delmamerchant likes this.
  4. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

it is a whole school problem, we the staff are badly affected

5. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

all, they are covering their errors but someone outside the school needs to come and see

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Is this a personal interpretation or are you qualified in some way (e.g., as an Ofsted inspector or a school improvement advisor) to make this judgement?

Are you sure that it isn't just a case of not being up to the rigours of the job and looking for someone else to blame?

If you do intend to bring in union involvement then you need to be very sure of your facts. If you go ahead and it all falls through, then your future in the school will not be a bed of roses. Keep your CV up to date or start working on your transferable skills.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  7. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

i am there as a staff member

8. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

so if there are problems within the school and then who can oversee the senior leaders??

9. caterpillartobutterfly

If the errors are illegal, then the police need to investigate.
    If unprofessional, then the governors.
    If just daft, then you may have to just agree to disagree and do as asked.

george1963, asnac, phlogiston and 2 others like this.
  10. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

how to approach governors?, especially when there are some management in the meetings, is there no one above the governors, ie someone outside if school?

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Again, are you qualified in some way (e.g., as an Ofsted inspector or a school improvementadvisor) to make this judgement?

12. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

i am making the judgements based on what i as a staff member am witnessing

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And if just a personal interpretation without any provable substance, then live with it.

14. caterpillartobutterfly

Anyone else will simply ask if you have followed the procedures of the school first. If you haven't they won't listen.

Get hold of the complaints or grievance procedure/policy and follow it.

15. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

we have, first port of call is talking to ppl at school, they are not listening

16. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

some of the senior leaders need to go

17. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

I worked in a school where staff had a number of concerns re. heads actions.
    These were reported to the unions ( who contrary to common belief had a measured , rational approach - not 'all guns blazing' ) The unions, I think, then made collective representation to the MAT. I believe mat then investigated. Head left shortly after.

I have also known unions to say, "it's not right but the head/governors/ member of staff is allowed to....." (or words to that effect.) So I would say you could run your concerns, evidence etc by the union.

Edit: no one in the school was individually identified. The union officials ( not school rep) dealt with it.

strawbs likes this.
  18. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

Thank you - what were your concerns?

what is MAT? and how long did the whole procedure take?

at the moment we are so snowed under with work, contacting the unions to do this seems a long stretch as it is a whole school issue the staff are all affected

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Your school will have a grievance procedure. However, you cannot start grievance proceedings and remain anonymous.

As has been outlined above, the agency you approach will depend on the alleged failings of the school leadership:
    • Illegal - police
    • Professional - governors (or local governing body if a member of a Multi Academy Trust - MAT) and then unions.
    • Safeguarding - LADO and then Ofsted
    Then perhaps your concerns are without substance.

Whichever course of action you choose to take, you will need to identity yourself, even when whistle-blowing, otherwise your complaint will be considered vexatious and dismissed. In add, do not be tempted to leapfrog any chain of responsibility e.g., by going to the governors before raising a proper grievance - it will only be referred downwards.

Not your call.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  20. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

Have PMd you (look in your Conversations)