1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Massive Dilemma - regarding holidays abroad

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lahluwalia, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lahluwalia

lahluwalia New commenter

My partner and I booked to go to Cyprus in the October half term prior to there being any issues caused by lockdown. Have big concerns now regarding whether it’s going to be wise to go, as quarantine can be put in place just like that as we seen this weekend with Spain. I will be starting my NQT Year as I finished my course this summer. Not sure what to do, whether to cancel, rebook or go ahead. Concerned also as am new to the school.

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Only you can decide.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If you're worrying about it now, I'd say cancel or rebook. A holiday is meant to be a chance to relax and something to look forward to. It doesn't sound like this holiday will do that for you. Instead of spending the next two months worrying about it, it would be better to decide now that you're not going.

4. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

My school is warning everyone not to go abroad anywhere without leeway to take two weeks quarantine afterwards, so in other words not to go abroad after mid August.

5. sjk17

sjk17 New commenter

Don't go on holiday. It's not safe. It's not worth it and you can wait. I find the number of British people travelling abroad when so many people are still dying over there sickening. People haven't been able to see dying relatives in hospital, people haven't been able to attend funerals. I can't visit my own parents because they're in high riskgroups and don't know the next time I will see them. It's a global medical emergency and that supercedes any need you have of a pointless holiday.

6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

For as long as people want to gather together in crowds, and feel ' the need for a holiday', this viral pandemic will continue. Don't go to Cyprus -there are many reasons why you shouldn't -you're new to the school, there are no guarantees you'll get back -it took less than 5 hours to make the decision re: Spain quarantine and Cyprus may decide to close borders....Despite the atmosphere of ' normality' manufactured by Govt and TV, we are no safer now than we were in March. There are simply fewer of the weak and vulnerable people left to die.

jlishman2158 and install like this.
  7. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

I would postpone it until next year. It would obviously be better for you if you didn’t lose any money but it could very well (understandably) annoy the HT if you do go and find yourself in quarantine afterwards. Plus it would make life difficult for you starting an NQT year already in strange circumstances and then having 3 weeks away from the children. Lots of teachers will say that the Christmas term is one of the most challenging.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The holiday industry is characterised by a complete disregard for local social circumstance. Buying a holiday by definition entails what you can have and what you can take and what you can enjoy, and so you make a very good point.
    However, you are a bit strident and mean in how you state it-there is a difference between being selfish and simply failing to think of something important.

Our press do not help in this, as I read yesterday that the Balearics and Canaries are "battling to save their tourist industry". For us! How kind!
    Erm, no, they aren't. They are battling to clear themselves of Coronavirus.

install and Piscean1 like this.
  9. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Cyprus has done very well very few infections and deaths. At present you can not go as the Cypriot government consider our numbers of infections too high. We normally go to Cyprus several times a year as we have an apartment but are resigned to not getting out there until next year. I would cancel or rebook if you can.

10. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

I have to agree with the posters above, even if it may be a bitter pill for you to swallow. There's simply no way of knowing what the situation may be in October with Covid-19 and quarantines - far better to cancel / postpone the holiday and have peace of mind rather than sticking with it, and constantly fretting up to October, and potentially during the holiday itself, wondering if quarantine will be imposed at any point.

On a side note (and this is not intended as a criticism of you, OP), I look at how people are behaving now out in public - social distancing seems all but gone - and I can't help but think that a second peak is inevitable - sad to say. But I digress.

jlishman2158 and install like this.
  11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I would postpone. If we hadn't done that, we would've flown to Southern Spain in the short window Jet2 were flying and would've been there now ... waiting to find out how we could get home and having to quarantine for 2 weeks when we did. So glad we moved holiday to next year and are now in Devon instead!

Holidays are not meant to be a worry, they're for rest and relaxation! Postpone till next summer and look forward to it then. Perhaps book a short break for a few days in this country during October half term. Good luck with your NQT year.

12. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I agree with all the rest of the advice - postpone until 2021. I see that you may well feel the need for a break by October, but maybe a few days away in a small cottage somewhere in the UK would do? A holiday abroad is not the only way to switch off and relax at half term, although it is important to take a mental break especially as you will be an NQT.
    I am a little surprised this is described as a "massive" dilemma. For me it's a no-brainer...

13. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think it’s simple.

by simply asking the question on here, you are concerned enough to be pondering it. If you can rebook, it’s pretty clear and simple for me- do it.

if not, then put it to the back of your mind. There’s nothing you can do about it, and it will be a decision you will have to make in October.

I have always been dead against employers dictating what a employee can and can’t do in their own time. But... in the current scenario I feel that the school would rightly be unimpressed if you went in October and problems arose from it.

14. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think that’s very harsh. The girl isn’t being selfish. She booked pre lockdown. People have to move on.

15. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Postpone it. We've postponed our holiday until next year. It cost us quite a bit to do but the peace of mind it's given us is significant. A holiday really should be something to look forward to.

You could maybe see if you can find a weekend UK break at half term to have something to look forward to?

16. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

actually I don’t think it’s harsh. I think it’s a bit uncalled for actually. Harsh would be a reaction that was fair, albeit a bit severe. Yours was just a bit nasty.

17. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Other countries have said DO NOT VISIT UK (for now)

Cyprus does not permit you to visit. Perhaps this solves your dilemma.
    • you cannot enter Cyprus if you have been in the UK in the last 14 days. The exception to this is legal residents of Cyprus and Cypriot ID holders who will be permitted to enter Cyprus on presentation of proof of residence or Cypriot nationality and a negative COVID-19 PCR test result (taken in the 72 hours before departure). People in this category are also required to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival.
    See Entry requirements for more information before you plan to travel.

18. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I would postpone and have something lovely to look forward to at the end of your NQT year. I would be stressed about the restrictions and the possibility of not being able to get back. Your HT might be sympathetic but is it worth the risk of feeling that you’re in the wrong?

19. lahluwalia

lahluwalia New commenter

Thanks for the advise everyone, we originally booked it as our honeymoon as was due to get married in September this was why we booked it prior lockdown in order to get away when I was able to in the October half term break. The wedding has been moved to next year due to covid-19, but we had planned to go ahead with the break, as my partner has worked incredibly hard during this period as a key worker and we are lucky if we managed one break abroad every couple of years. Am not trying to be selfish, as this was booked prior to issues.

I am aware of Cyprus not letting people from UK in it’s current guidelines and this was supposed to be changing from 1st August but that might change again.

20. lahluwalia

lahluwalia New commenter

I feel your comments are unnecessary, you got no idea of my circumstances apart from the information I provide. I am well aware of the situation, not trying to be selfish at all. The break was supposed to be my honeymoon but my wedding been moved due to covid-19 and a lot of things that were planned have been cancelled due to covid and It was the only thing left to look forward too. Am sorry you think it’s wrong for me to want to go away, but you got no idea of what I or my family been going through recently. I was looking for advise on what’s the best course of action, in my situation, not to be criticised because I have a holiday booked, which again was booked prior to any lockdown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.