1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Massive bonfire about to happen at the White House?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Jul 9, 2020.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-...urt-rules-manhattan-district-attorney-access/

Supreme Court rules Manhattan prosecutor can access Trump financial records

By Melissa Quinn

July 9, 2020 / 11:49 AM / CBS News

Washington — The Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that Manhattan's chief prosecutor can obtain troves of President Trump's business records and tax returns, a momentous defeat for the president in his efforts to shield his personal financial information from state investigators.

The high court ruled 7-2 in favor of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance, who is conducting a criminal investigation into the president's business dealings and hush-money payments made to two women who allegedly had affairs with the president years before he was elected. Justices Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh, appointed to the high court by Mr. Trump, joined the majority, while Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito dissented. The justices sent the dispute back to the lower courts for further proceedings.

"Two hundred years ago, a great jurist of our Court established that no citizen, not even the President, is categorically above the common duty to produce evidence when called upon in a criminal proceeding," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the majority. "We reaffirm that principle today and hold that the President is neither absolutely immune from state criminal subpoenas seeking his private papers nor entitled to a heightened standard of need."

What's so delicious about this is that two of the Justices Trump appointed voted in favour of this.

[​IMG]

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The documents won't go to prosecutors for months as its gone back down to a lower court. . Possibly it will argue out until after the election.

artboyusa likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not until after the election.

It doesn't matter - he is going to lose.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I fully expect him to be re-elected. Ugh.

5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I really, really want to agree with @peakster but I am very worried that @coffeekid is right.

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I am beginning to hope.....
    I think the only thing which might save him is if he can claim a vaccine before the polls - and even then, I think the damage his mishandling of Covid has done to his standing may stick.

mothorchid likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

So am I. After Hilary Clinton I really thought the Democrats would choose a likely candidate rather than the gaffe-prone Biden. He really ought to be retired at his age.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There will be no vaccine before November.

America is in a really bad situation with the Coronavirus.

9. mothorchid

Yes, he seems to have hoped his tremendous economic record would do it, but that's not going to cut it. Then he tried for his bigly genius handling of the virus, but that's not going to work either. I think he's now trying to divide the USA along racial lines, but that's a very dubious strategy. I want to be optimistic...

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Without the virus he would have romped home.

11. mothorchid

Yes, maybe there might be some light at the end of the tunnel...

NoseyMatronType likes this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Don't read this, then....

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pr...cent-chance-of-winning-election-despite-polls

Despite recent polls that identify Joe Biden as the heavy favorite in 2020, a political science professor is still standing by his prediction model that shows President Trump having a "91 percent" chance of winning in November.

Mediaite reported on Wednesday that Stony Brook professor Helmut Norpoth is doubling down on his "Primary Model,” which has correctly predicted five out of the past six elections since 1996 and every single election but two in the past 108 years.

“The Primary Model gives Trump a 91 percent chance of winning in November,” Norpoth said. "This model gets it right for 25 of the 27 elections since 1912, when primaries were introduced."

As Mediaite noted, the two elections the model failed to predict were the 1960 election of John F. Kennedy and the 2000 election of George W. Bush.

Norpoth's model examines the results of presidential primaries as the strongest indicator as to the outcome in the general election, not the polls that dominate the political discussion. According to Norpoth, Biden is in a much weaker position than Trump because of his poor showing in the first two primary races.

Before making the stunning comeback in the South Carolina primary and carrying the following races, Biden came in fourth place in Iowa with just 15.8 percent of the vote and came in fifth place in New Hampshire with just 8.4 percent. Norpoth stressed that enthusiasm is key.

“The terrain of presidential contests is littered with nominees who saw a poll lead in the spring turn to dust in the fall,” Norpoth told Mediaite. “The list is long and discouraging for early frontrunners. Beginning with Thomas Dewey in 1948, it spans such notables as Richard Nixon in 1960, Jimmy Carter in 1980, Michael Dukakis in 1988, George H.W. Bush in 1992, and John Kerry in 2004, to cite just the most spectacular cases."

Norpoth's model, which correctly predicted Trump's victory roughly nine months before the 2016 election, suggests that the president will win by even a wider margin in the electoral college with 362 electoral votes versus the 304 he earned against Hillary Clinton. Mediaite pointed out such a victory would nearly match Barack Obama's 2008 election, when he earned 365 electoral votes.

The Stony Brook professor appeared on "The Ingraham Angle" back in May making the same prediction.

While the "Primary Model" hands Trump his reelection, national polls suggest Biden will win handily in November. The Real Clear Politics average shows the former VP besting the sitting president by 8.7 points. In the latest Fox News poll, Biden has a 12 point lead over Trump.

The president's polling has taken quite the hit in recent months amid the coronavirus outbreak and increased racial tensions following the death of George Floyd.

13. mothorchid

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

This is the sort of whining rubbish he comes out with all the time.

This is today....

Donald Trump has used an interview with Fox News ally Sean Hannity to attempt to pin the blame for the resurgent coronavirus on Dr Anthony Fauci, who he said is “a nice man but he’s made a lot of mistakes”, although it was the president himself who disregarded medical advice to push for the early reopening of the states.

Asked about the fresh wave of outbreaks in the Sun Belt states, Trump responded: “First of all, the mortality rate, and Dr Fauci is a nice man but he’s made a lot of mistakes… A lot of them [medical advisers] said ‘Don’t wear a mask, don’t wear a mask.’ Now they are saying ‘wear a mask.’ A lot of mistakes were made, a lot of mistakes. Let me just make one statement, we do testing like nobody’s ever done testing. And when we test, the more you test, the more cases you find.”

“Other countries, you know when they test?” he continued, making excuses for presiding over the nation with the most cases and deaths in the world.

“They have tests that are very limited. We have massive, 45m people have been tested. At the record, and our tests are the best. We have cases all over the place. Most of the cases immediately get better, they are people, young people, they have sniffles and two days later they are fine and they are not sick to start off with. They are asymptomatic. A lot of things happen and what we are doing as with all of these tests that we are doing all over the country, test everybody, pull-up parking lots, everything else, what we’ve done is we’ve created a tremendous number of cases. Everybody else, can you imagine if China tested like we test? They don’t.”

15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Oh, it's FAUCI's fault. It's so obvious when it's explained to you by someone with an enormous brain.

16. mothorchid

It's gibberish, really, isn't it?

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I agree with you. The first time round my second son joined a gambling site, got his ten pounds and bet on Donald getting in. £150 and never bet again.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Hanging chads, the mafia and now covid-19 might be the third exception for the models. Live in hope.

chelsea2 and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  19. costermonger

costermonger Occasional commenter

I sincerely hope you are wrong. I fear you are right.

mothorchid likes this.
  20. costermonger

costermonger Occasional commenter

That's made me feel much better. If Fox 'news' are claiming he will win it's a huge boost to Biden's chances.

knitone likes this.