1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Massive bag suggestion please

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mightyb, Jun 3, 2018.

1. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

It's amazing how much you can get into a North Face holdall.

[​IMG]

2. kendoddy

kendoddy New commenter

Forget the hard case luggage, waste of weight by using them get a travel duffel or simailar from a hiking shop e.g. all of these
    https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/c/equipment/rucksacks/duffels.html
    Me and my wife have a 100L and a 120L and that is more than enough, sure any fragile goods need wrapping, put in your clothes and all is fine. The bag takes up no room once not in use and so few people use them they are always easy to find at the other end.

mightyb likes this.
  3. kendoddy

kendoddy New commenter

come on i was finding a link, but 50% off is good at the minute

mightyb likes this.
  4. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

A Quechua 100l has done me fine for a while, a fraction of the North Face price, but those Mountain Equipment ones linked to above look good.

mightyb likes this.
  5. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

Books. Books and a digital piano.

I had been hoping that the next move would be possible by road with just a van hire but it's looking more like another upheaval will be on the cards. Destination still to be decided.

6. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

It's the general **** that you collect wherever you live. For us, we used shipping more because we got the shipping allowance from our new schools but the old one offered nothing - so it was easier to send luggage by sea from Egypt to China than to pack it all in suitcases and pay a double set of excess baggage.

7. mightyb

mightyb New commenter

Thanks everyone. Really useful. Moving with my family so a lot to take. Tjenksb

8. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

The Quechua 100l duffel from Decathlon is cheap and very robust. We bought one the other year flying back to NZ and I'd give it a recommend.

Now, I may be wrong but isn't the baggage allowance based on mass not number of bags- so you can have three bags totaling 23kg or one bag totaling 23kg? We traveled with three small children so had quite a generous allowance overall but there was a limit to how much one single item could weigh....

mightyb likes this.
  9. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

It depends on the airline. BA you can definitely buy extra bags, upto 10 extra and thry are 23kg each. Im pretty sure Star Alliance airlines do the same.

mightyb likes this.
  10. mightyb

mightyb New commenter

Didn't mean to write Tjenksb!

11. Tasneem123

Tasneem123 New commenter

Has anyone any experience of packing boxes instead of bags/suitcases? We will be travelling out soon, family of 3 with 23kg x 3 allowance each. Would be useful to know if anyone had experience of taking boxes? Would you recommend?

12. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Me too ejc. Althogh I have reduced my personal library over the years from almost 30 boxes to about 10. In addition I have made my career and life abroad for some time, I am not a traveller or a tourist, My whole life goes with me and someone else pays for it. If I want to spend years in a place I want to have a 'home', not a crash pad with a few clothes aand a computer.

tesolmath likes this.
  13. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I have used large cold storage box's, stroge and can be locked.These can withstand the perils of Heathrow baggage handlers.

A small padlock is useless to secure a case. I use plastic cable ties of different two colours, or the security tags type. They have to be cut off and difficult to replace. Ma kes it easy to see if someone has opened your case. Sometime items are slipped into westerners luggage entering some restrictive coutries by luggage handlers to get past customs. So beware entering coutries that execute drug smugglers.

14. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

I need to edit my post as there's a screen grab that's not supposed to be there.. ctrl + v at the wrong moment. Any tips?

Incidentally, on the boxes thing. Yes. A cardboard box is an acceptable piece of baggage. We had a large, heavy item in a cardboard box as checked in baggage. So, it can be done.

15. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

I'm looking to ship my stuff to China. Now married and intending to live here when I retire so there is no point in keeping stuff in storage (or parents loft!) Any recommendations and idea about cost? I'll be shipping to Huangshi in Hubei from the UK. Trying to cut down a lot of the stuff but I have some bulky stuff that I can't take with me on a plane

16. WatchYourTongue

WatchYourTongue New commenter

I shipped a box from China to the UK (over ten years ago), so much stuff passes between the countries I imagine it's still cheap as chips.

I believe Turkish allows 2 bags for economy on lots of routes, might be worth having a look if you want to take a lot of stuff with you.

I prefer a decent suitcase on wheels, the cheap ones break too easily. I go on a lot of holidays and carrying all my stuff in a holdall would be a right pain in the back.

17. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

@mrswallow
    Use the report button (underneath your text) to report your own post and ask for the attachment to be deleted.
    upload_2018-6-13_15-51-2.png