1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Massive bag suggestion please

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mightyb, Jun 3, 2018.

1. mightyb

mightyb New commenter

Hi all,
    I will be flying with BA and their allowance is 24kg in only one bag, which can be up to 90 x 75 x 43cm. Will also be getting something shipped separately. I want to make the most of the BA allowance but having searched and searched I can't find a suitcase, holdall or backpack anywhere close to that size. Any that are close to 90cm tall are only about 50 by 40 wide / deep, which is a lot of wasted capacity. Anyone have any great suggestions please?
    Many thanks.

2. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

You'd be surprised at how heavy a case smaller than that can be - easy to go over the 24kg.

576 and mightyb like this.
  3. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

I don't have a suggestion, just a word of caution.

When I first left the UK, I bought an extralarge suitcase. At that time I was able to take it on a standard flight with no problem and no excess charges.

When I came to move on, some years later, I found that it was too big and, when full, too heavy for standard baggage allowances and could incur double excess baggage charges - both for size and weight. A couple of times the nice AirFrance staff said to me "I'll only charge you once for that" but it could be very expensive to travel with.

I eventually passed it on to a colleague - was sad to see it go as it had been with me since my very first adventure - but it was too expensive to keep travelling with it.

mightyb likes this.
  4. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I was just going to say that. My case is standard size and if I filled it to capacity it would be waaaaaay over 24kg.

576 and mightyb like this.
  5. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I have no idea what BA's extra baggage prices are, but I have always found it more convenient and often cheaper to take my belongings as excess luggage - turn up with 4/5 cases and ship nothing - saves hassle of import charges and the inconvenience of waiting for shipping/paying storage while you wait on paperwork etc.

mightyb and Teachallover like this.
  6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Last time I used BA an extra case cost 98GBP, which can be cheaper then shipping.

You have to book the extra bags before you arrive at the airport, use the customer service number to book the extra cases.

My school offers nearly 500GBP allowance for moving cists, this works you can bring 120kg of luggage on your flight.

I visit the Pound type shops to buy cheap luggage for this purpose. Also no storage,visa or tax to pay when bring goods in on a flight you are on.

Tasneem123 and mightyb like this.
  7. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

Yes, would definitely recommend this - especially when it's possible to book and pay for the excess in advance.

mightyb likes this.
  8. mightyb

mightyb New commenter

Thanks everyone. Those are very good points! Much appreciated :)

9. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I read these threads and feel underprepared - both times I've lived abroad i've gone with just one case, a laptop bag and a cabin bag.

But my tip is buy the lightest case you can find, use packing cubes (from amazon basics) to jam it as full as you can and then use those suitcase bands or even the cellophane wrap at the airport to prevent the thing falling apart.

For travels at the moment I'm using some sort of army kit bag at the moment - small and tough and I can carry about 4 weeks worth of clothes in it if pushed.

englishdragon, mightyb and rouxx like this.
  10. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Buy some luggage scales, if you haven't already, so you can weigh the bag once packed, then you won't have any nasty surprises at the airport.

mightyb and Mr_Frosty like this.
  11. markedout

markedout New commenter

No need for luggage scales if you have bathroom scales - stand on them, note weight, get off, pick up suitcase, get back on and note the difference! Mine was within 100g when I did this a few days ago - 24kg at home, 23.9 at the airport.

mightyb likes this.
  12. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Try Matalan (if you’re in the UK) for large and inexpensive suitcases. A friend moved abroad with one that we nicknamed the ‘migration’ suitcase. It has lasted two migrations!

Sometimes you can book extra luggage when you buy your ticket. It’s usually cheaper to do online than at the airport.

Hope the packing goes well!

mightyb likes this.
  13. StrangePanda

StrangePanda New commenter

TK Maxx usually have large, wheeled canvass hold-all things. They are lightweight. Just buy a couple of extra straps to put around them to secure them.

mightyb likes this.
  14. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

I really have never understood this approach (the big bag/excess baggage approach). I have shipped approx. half a container by sea every time I have moved (9 times in 30 years) and apart from a minor inconvenience in Cairo (bureaucratic) it has worked well. The guys come and pack things up and take it away in a big van, it usually arrives before I do as I am off on holiday somewhere, it is delivered and unpacked for me if I so desire. In addition my baggage/shipping allowance has paid for it every time!!

But as I always say at this point, that has been my experience, others may have had different experiences?

mightyb likes this.
  15. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

Matalan in the UK I find usually have the best, low-cost light suitcases - we got four before we left the UK in 2015 (Turkish allowed 2 suitcases on business class - note that depending on your school, they will either cover business class flights or let you claim extra luggage as part of shipping) and then another three to replace them last summer - the older ones we filled and sent from Cairo to Beijing by freight.

For hold-alls, Sports Direct used to sell massive football bags which were really light - about £10 each.

@makhnovite the only problem I can see with shipping is the timings - it either leaves before you do or arrives after you do. Ours was picked up at the end of May in Cairo and then delivered to Beijing in early October - it did get delayed in Singapore and, yes, in Cairo too - but this was the experience of people shipping here from the UK too.

mightyb likes this.
  16. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I will need a 20ft sea container to ship my belongings, but most people dont.

If you have 200kg the large extra luggage on the plane makes an economical option.

mightyb likes this.
  17. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

I recently caught a flight with a standard bag containing only clothes. It was 23.7 kg and there was room for another few kgs.

ruthwill500 and mightyb like this.
  18. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

Also try a call to the airline in advance. I called before and have been told 'officially the allowance is 23kg btu we wont charge for excess so long as you're under 27kg' - probably not the same for all airlines and a bit of a gamble I guess but it worked for me.

mightyb likes this.
  19. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

never understood what people actually needed so badly in their lives that they needed to "ship" anything as a single, if you have a family i can understand. i travel the world with 5 bags (can fit 5 easily on one trolley at the airport) and pay for excess baggage. if it doesnt fit in 5 bags it doesnt come with me. BA will let you take upto 10 bags each as excess, thats 230kg, which is a lot, and not that expensive.

the great thing about taking it as excess is thats its there with you, no waiting around for any shipment, having customs issues that always seem to happen. i think we all have a colleague at some point that has been waiting 6 months for their shipment to arrive.

mightyb likes this.
  20. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Books. My husband and I are bibliophiles. That's what our shipment is mostly full of. They make us happy so we're totally ok with shipping them when we move. Some people have kids, some people have pets. We have books :)