1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mary Beard

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Mar 4, 2016.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Heard mostly very complimentary stuff about her and considered reading her work. The programme on BBC1 last night was strangely pitched I thought, dumbed down almost. 30 minutes content stretched to 60 - it is a common occurrence these days. Disappointed - or maybe just me ?

magic surf bus likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I didn't watch it.

Mostly because of your 'dumbed down' comment. I think this is true of most BBC factual programmes these days.

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

No, it's not just you, I was a bit disappointed too.
    I've always enjoyed and admired the way that Mary Beard delivers an intellectually stimulating subject in an approachable way without obviously dumbing down. Last night's programme wasn't what I've come to expect of her and the lack of depth and explanation was frustrating. A real shame and a missed opportunity.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I liked it but I've been to Pompeii and spent half my time going "I've been there!" rather than paying proper attention. All historical documentaries are dragged out with graphics and dramatisations these days.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I got bored with it. There was insufficient material to stretch to 60 minutes and her dancing about from time to time, was irritating. It must have been a filler after Death in Paradise and before the next series.

Definitely a missed opportunity.

6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I didn't mind the graphics of the buildings they used from the scans they'd done but wish they'd explored those ghostly buildings more, I wanted to know more.
    The scans of the casts didn't seem to produce much evidence but they were concluding and surmising all over the place in a way that didn't seem very scientific to me.

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It was the first thing I've seen or heard from MB that I was too bored to watch.:(

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I thought it was not up to her usual lively way of explaining.i loved her roman way stuff ....but please....someone give her a decent hair style and cloths that compliment her age....she looked wrong in those leggings and i detected she wasnt walking correctly.even with the uneven streets of Pompie.
    The programme itself was boring after a while..but like watching Time Team and their delivery.

9. grumpydogwoman

I shouldn't go near this really as I have a degree in Latin. Might make my expectations a little unrealistic. I just looked at a couple of reviews and an article in the Telegraph by Beard and just shrugged my shoulders.

It might be helpful if the BBC made it clear who might enjoy such and such a programme.

Many BBC viewers of my generation wouldn't find themselves much enlightened by it, I suppose.

10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I've always thought of Death in Paradise as filler.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Agree with all the above, always liked her in the past and interested in Pompeii, surprised to find myself thinking "This is dragging" after not so long. Seeing the same process with several of the figures was unnecessary - ooh look another plaster person with red lasers shining on it going into the CT scanner.

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Ha! Well it is a series and I expect there will be another series starting shortly, or soon after the Easter stuff.

I like Death in Paradise- mainly I like the scenery. o_O

13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I was disappointed, too. Very little content and repetitive.

14. Vince_Ulam

I'd like to see Mary Beard fight it out with Bettany Hughes:

I don't care what is at contest, I just want to see it.

15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Recorded it, haven't watched it yet. She is usually a very captivating speaker (I've seen her in real life as well, e.g. at conferences (one where I gave one too!)....

:(

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There's a bit too much 'Look at me I'm on the telly' about history documentary presenters these days, which I suspect is more about Universities' public engagement policies than it is about informative documentary. Neil Oliver strides manfully across crags and headlands all windswept and interesting grating "It was the age of Irrrrrrrron". Gorgeous pouting Alice Roberts describes relict mammoth bones in a breathless whisper, knowing full well most of the male viewers have got he sound turned down. Bettany Hughes bounces and jiggles her way around Maiden Castle, and all these documentaries are going on far too bloody long so we can see the presenters. Even good old Horizon has endless cuts to meaningless filler footage of speeded up people and sunsets with synthesised music to show how deep and sciencey it all is. Most of these one hour programmes could get the same information over in half an hour, but they have to make concessions to the American TV export market (with ads every ten minutes) and the need for constant reminders to get their struggling audience back on board.

Mary Beard was playing to the crowd on last night's programme, and badly. I love Pompeii but I thought that documentary was strung out, repetitive, not especially informative, and dull. And F F S we're no longer impressed by laser beams - have the producers never seen Austin Powers?

racroesus and grumpydogwoman like this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

What @magic surf bus said about Universities and PR and American TV.

I cannot believe there has been no mention of this fellow.

upload_2016-3-4_12-8-33.png

Unless HE is now ancient history????

sabrinakat likes this.
  18. Vince_Ulam

I can't bare that breathy, whispering, suppression faux-passion in TV presenters but the awful thing is that I'm starting to see it in PGCE candidates and NQTs.

19. Vince_Ulam

20. Vince_Ulam

If I remember correctly he's married to someone in PR.

sabrinakat likes this.