1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Martyrs!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bentley89, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Bentley89

Bentley89 New commenter

I simply have to vent.

Teaching is not an easy career choice. We all know that. But why, oh why, does there always have to be one or two idiots per department, year group or school that has to tell everyone just how much harder they work than everyone else.

Fine. If you have no friends, life or children of your own, work and other people's children may be all that you have to cling on to in order to stop yourself from throwing yourself off a bridge. But please, don't keep banging on about how stressed you are because you've decided to brown-nose Senior Management and take on extra work. And whilst I'm on that note, teachers who do their job and don't burn themselves out are not lazy. They are efficient and sensible.

If I hear one more teacher tell me how great they are, how busy they are, how much more they do than everyone else or how their subject or class 'is different to everyone else's so you wouldn't understand the workload', I may actually have to punch them in the face.

Teaching is a job. Way too many people let the job take over their life with Instagram & Facebook posts of them marking. BORE OFF! I enjoy teaching. I don't enjoy idiotic teaching martyrs!

Now, time for a coffee...

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I can drink to that.

[got my morning cup on the go right now]

Bentley89 likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Ignore them

towncryer and border_walker like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

One truth I concluded after more than 30 years teaching is that anyone who tells you they are a 'great teacher' (or similar) is lying - the good teachers are always more modest and happy to go 'under the radar'.

Oh, and the same applies to those who boast 'I never have trouble with class (or pupil) X'. Liars, all of them...and lying is their way of coping.

Alice K, sodalime, towncryer and 3 others like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not really as possible when they are the ones who get promoted ever upwards and then seem to think that others should imitate them... irrespective of personal circumstances.

sodalime likes this.
  6. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

Well said Bentley89! I absolutely agree. I'm of the work to live school of thought and do not even think about work when I'm not there. Efficient and sensible, that's me.

towncryer and Bentley89 like this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I don't think I ever did that but I also did grind my teeth at the chilled colleagues who rolled in with pillow creases still on their cheeks saying - I get them to mark each others own work, they had to give a presentation in a group, last years planning fitted this group perfectly, I spoke to his dad in the pub - he's no trouble now.
    Smart a r s e s - or actually I have one person in mind so make that singular. #retired9yearsnow #longmemory

Jamvic, sodalime, towncryer and 2 others like this.
  8. Bentley89

Bentley89 New commenter

One such colleague had the balls to try and joke-insult me because I don't take marking home. My word, she left that room feeling rather small!

This is a woman who puts Star Wars characters in to every presentation she makes, has a 'book of feelings' where she writes something nice about each child every week and has created a 'reading garden' in her classroom (with Ikea plants) but has the cheek to complain that she's overworked and claim that her children will get more from school than others.

To top it off, she will happily stand in your room, or in a staff meeting, and publicly state how she's rated 'outstanding' and a benchmark for the NQTs to aspire to. It makes me sick.

9. mothorchid

mothorchid Lead commenter

Ahh, the faint whiff of burning martyr - how little I miss it since leaving teaching...
    There will always be someone who does this. Everyone will hate them because they are so smug. They will be promoted. They will make everyone's life a misery. They will burn out. You will die happy and surrounded by love. They will die alone. ;)

10. Bentley89

Bentley89 New commenter

I must admit, I don't see the issue with some of these... Why try to recreate the wheel?

If the work isn't an assessed piece - peer/self mark it.
    If it doesn't have to go in to books - do group work and save on marking.
    If planning fits (maybe with a tweak or two) - great, use it.
    If you have a close working relationship with a parent (as you will in lots of small/village schools) - use it to your advantage for the sake of the student.

I am not condoning laziness. Far from it. What I am saying though is, I can't stand the idiots who go above and beyond to create extra work for themselves and think that their student's progress will be better as a result of a bucket load of sprinkles, sparkles & rainbows.

Many teachers complain about crazy workloads but still do all the silly little things (like recreating the wheel) as they think it makes them a superior teacher to others. Incorrect.

Oldfashioned, lardylady and Shedman like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sadly schools are full of people in management positions who should never have got there and when they get there they are totally out of their depth.

Someone I once had the misfortune to work with finally got a headship recently.

In a few months time the staff at that school will realize what sort of person they now have as a headteacher and there will be a huge turnover.

towncryer and Bentley89 like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I really do feel sorry for them - that person is a hate filled monster

Bentley89 likes this.
  13. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

The advice to them should be to work smarter. That expression really irks me. I’m afraid you get them in every profession. People showing off at meetings. When everyone else just wants to go home.

blazer, towncryer, sodalime and 4 others like this.
  14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yeah, but at my age there's nothing like a good grudge to keep you going ;)

15. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

So a relaxed teacher; who gets proper sleep (how I miss it); peer marking; solid planning that doesn't need constant revision; and engaged with the local community?

I'd wager a school staffed with just that would be a lot better than most modern ones.

Oldfashioned, lardylady and Bentley89 like this.
  16. Bentley89

Bentley89 New commenter

If I were the head of a school, I’d look for my staff to go home at a sensible time, enjoy family time, have hobbies and relax. That way, they’ll be happy to put in the extra shift when something big kicks off (productions/Ofsted/parent evenings etc).

You can be hard-working but still have a life. However, most martyrs seem to think they have to sacrifice their personal lives (and others should do the same...) in order to prove they’re working hard and good at their job.

That’s certainly not for me.

Shedman and towncryer like this.
  17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Bentley89 likes this.
  18. towncryer

towncryer Occasional commenter

This is a woman who puts Star Wars characters in to every presentation she makes, has a 'book of feelings' where she writes something nice about each child every week and has created a 'reading garden' in her classroom (with Ikea plants)

(shudder):(

Bentley89 likes this.
  19. towncryer

towncryer Occasional commenter

Please add to this those would-be SLT''s who. in their desperation to climb up the greasy ladder will join in with presenting initiatives/projects/fun days that they know are a complete load of rubbish and extra work for their colleagues...but they still do it because being promoted is more important than anything else in the world.

Jamvic likes this.
  20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

One thing I have often noticed about the martyrs is they tend to be very inefficient and therefore are always doing stuff because they take such an age to do it but don't see it this way. They don't usually accomplish more than others but work longer to do the same thing and imagine they are doing more because they are always taking work home, starting at 7.30, going home at 6, etc.