1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marshmallows or Milk Cartons?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jan 30, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Soooo inspired by fruitloop, and still trying to convince HT that I'm not really an old stuck in the mud, we are going to study The Titanic after half term.

So would it be better (in the sense of impressing HT) to have children make their own small Titanics and marshmallow icebergs? OR make a large class one in the hall one afternoon from milk cartons, with a suitably large Titanic as well?

The second is more public, good, but the first has more scope for individual learning and progression and all tha jazz, also good.

Or make them in a different way entirely? I'm thinking a sort of sea-scene, complete with lifeboats etc.

2. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

How about freezing a boat in some ice and investigating how they could free it? I'd do the large one, marshmallows are messy, the children will eat them, the tables will be sticky.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Brilliant idea. Going to use that for problem solving. Perhaps one per group and a bit of a competition or resource sharing activity or something...

Good point about messy and sticky marshmallows. The large one sounds less hassle and we can do it with both classes together to make a large seascape.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you, they are very useful and I have already downloaded some of them.

The title is up on my wall already and several other bits ready and waiting to be used when we start the topic next week.

I think I asked for the landscape paper on Facebook...and yes it is perfect!

5. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

It sounds like you do very exciting things minniminx!!

6. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Zoe49 - I haven't come across your website before. I look forward to seeing your resources! Any idea how soon they'll be available?? THANK YOU!! [​IMG]
    I'm going to have a look through your site now

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ha!!! You'll not get any more work done tonight then!!

8. Last year ours made their own papier mache islands, then created lighthouses on top and wired them up and took them home. They were soooo excited. We had to charge 50p each for the cost of the circuit stuff and battery (as you need those big batteries) but it was lovely that they could take them home and keep them. I love doing circuits with them, as they love figuring it all out. We found the Aptiva posh yogurt pots (the ones that look like washing powder ball container thingies) were fab as the top of the lighthouses. Talk of lighthouses reminded me of a funny ICT lesson last year where I had demonstrated how to use 2 Create a Story by drawing a lovely tall lighthouse standing between two big round rocks. It wasn't until I had drawn some effective streaks of light coming out of the top that the ICT technician and I realised what I had drawn. The children really didn't know what had made me laugh 'til I cried that day...

9. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

minnieminx - you were right!! The whole evening whizzed by plus I didn't even have any pancakes :)

Singup - your lighthouse topic sounds fab!! We are going to be making lighthouses and they will be doing the circuit as part of science and we will also be making a winch as part of our dt topic. They are really excited. It's lovely to see!
    I LOVE moments like this!!!! The children just look at you as if you've gone slightly mad.

10. Hi Minnie,

Can I ask what year you teach? I am in year 2 and would love to teach this topic but not sure if it's more suited to ks2. Some of the ideas on this forum sound great.
    Acceb :)

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have year 2. We start next week and I am dead excited!

12. Oh great- I will follow with interest. Please let us know how you and the kids get on. I might be able to steal some ideas ;-)

13. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Thanks Zoe49. They are great!! My children are loving the lighthouse topic so much this will really add to the resources we have in class.

A big THANK YOU!! :)