1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marsala and madeira

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 28, 2012.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I want to bake some peaches for tomorrow when we have friends joining us for supper. I've a lovely (Delia) recipe for baking them in marsala wine but I don't have any. I do have madeira. Can I use that?

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Why would you ruin a beautiful fruit like a peach by covering it in alcohol and cooking it?[​IMG]
    (This from a teetotaller!) Seriously though, why not just have a bowl of peaches in the middle of the table and serve with a knife and fork as they do in France?

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have some and am not at work tomorrow - would you like it?
    (yes, you could)

4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Can't see why not - am I right in thinking madeira has a nuttiness to it? Years since I drank any! If so should be good with peaches.

5. BelleDuJour

I would but am a bit pushed an might not be able to get to you [​IMG]

6. BelleDuJour

Because they are not as big and fat as I'd like for that.
    Also, baked in boozy, sugary juices and served with a (large) dollop of mascarpone they have even more calories of deelishousness [​IMG]

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Assume it's sweet Madeira, and not the dry stuff. Belle?
    If so, I don't see why not. I interchange Madeira and Marsala according to what I've got in. I tend to use them for savoury meals, such as to deglaze the pan as a quick gravy for chops, rather than sweet, but they are very similar. They're both fortified dessert wines, just one's Italian, the other Portuguese, no?

8. BelleDuJour

Hmmm......................for someone who all too often finds herself on the outside of a bottle I wasn't aware it came in sweet or dry. I shall have to taste it!

9. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Belle, do you think H wanted you to go and collect it or does she want to come and sample your peaches?[​IMG]

10. BelleDuJour

Possibly! She usually leaves with half a dozen aggs and a bag of rhubarb [​IMG]

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

you make me sound like a real scrounger [​IMG]
    Now, shall I drive my bottle over to you?

12. BelleDuJour

That's very kind H. You are welcome to drive over for a cuppa and rhubarb and eggs! We'll be around after 2pm.

13. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm meeting a friend for lunch in Emmer Green - will come to you afterwards.

14. BelleDuJour

I've got some H. Had to go to Sainsbury's but thought 'what hte heck'. But you are, of course, more than welcome for a cuppa and we'd love to see you!