1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Married to a non uk national?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by towncryer, Aug 29, 2011.

1. towncryer

towncryer New commenter

2. Signed.

I'm slowly becoming reconciled to the fact that the State just doesn't want us... Am currently filing for Indefinite Leave to Remain for the wife. Free in 2003, it now costs a whopping £972. No middle ground possible?

3. towncryer

towncryer New commenter

972? That's absolute robbery. I'm not facing this yet but the time will come when we need to come back. So unfair when you see so many people getting in illegally.Anyway...good luck with your application.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Move to an EU country and gain citizenship there. There are no problems then...

5. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Hmmm, yes I've had much fun with UK Border Agency this summer.
    My wife is from SE Asia and couldn't even get hera visa for a temporary visit to the UK. After two additional months, the involvement of my MP, endless dealings with Immigration Lawyers and an application that was more akin to applying for residence here, she has now got her visa, but at what substantial cost . . . we missed the summer together, missed new work opportunities for me and put me out of pocket at least an additional £500.
    Our initial visa rejection included the statement that I may have been working in SE Asia illegally, despite them having my work contract, employment visa and police record AND they failed to follow new laws adopted in May 2011.
    I was not impressed and contacted the national press here to bring publicity to the situation. There is hardly anywhere to turn for support either: UK Border Agency are a closed shop as far as contact goes, even my MP was hitting brick walls, and contacting my embassy abroad simply brought an email that said they do not answer personal emails.
    If you are applying for residence I would include everything possible with your application, even things you would think were totally irrelevant. Not a nice sum of money to lose out on. If you need an Immigration Lawyer (who is the absolute bees knees) get back to me, but he'll cost you.

6. towncryer

towncryer New commenter

Sorry you have had so much trouble . The whole thing needs some serious investigation.There seems to be no rhyme or reason why some people are given visit visas and some not.Sometimes it seems to depend on the country you are applying from.
    As for residence there should be no question if you have been married for a reasonably long time.
    As for visit visas I am sick to the stomach with that.The lack of freedom to travel is a real issue with me and the hoops that have to be jumped through to get a few stingy days in Europe beggars belief.
    Karvol...its not as simple as you are making out.Many nationalities have to apply for visas to Europe as well.This year we were given a visa for the date we entered and left Europe according to our tickets which left no options to change our plans/extend our holiday.It used to be 6 months now its the exact dates.
    On our arrival in Europe we were told by border control that of course my husband could leave the airport by the EU members gate. Ïf he is married to you he is part of the EU"We were told. Someone tell that to the visa application centres then!!

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I know. I am just being facetious, sorry.
    I am a UK citizen and my wife is from a non-EEA country. I have to admit, however, that we have not really had any trouble obtaining visas to travel to the UK or any other country. It may very well be the country that you reside in that makes the difference.
    My experience, along with that of colleagues, tends towards commonwealth spouses having a much easier time than those, say, from South East Asia or the Far East. Of course it is just our experiences, which may not be representative, but I do remember having a very easy time in Dubai obtaining a visit visa for my girlfriend, but the guy before me, whose girlfriend was Chinese, more or less being told to get lost to his face.

8. Don´t know if this helps, and maybe things have changed (although this would involve a change in the European Union Law, rather than British Law).
    Basically to the best of my knowledge according to the Suriner Singh ruling if you have exercised your right to free movement under EU law, then upin return to England they have to treat you and your wife as a European Union citizen.
    According to my latest reading of the rules as of the Border agency website:
    http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/eunationalsschemes/eeafamilypermit#22947085
    as posted on the link above, if you can prove that you and your wife are legally married and have been resident in another European State together, then upon return to Britain your wife (husband) is treated as the wife/husband of an eea national. This means applying for an EEA permit to enter the country, and that Britain needs to follow the rules as set out for EU citizens under the guidance of the European Union (website europa.eu).
    Hope this helps, will sin petition anyway

9. My wife is from Latin America and I have to say getting into the UK direct from there had some VERY strict rules. However, I worked in the EU then went to the UK and used the EEA Permit option which was very simple. Although back in the EU now, same rule applies if we go back again.

HOWEVER, although we got in, it took 9 MONTHS for the home office to finalise the visa and we ended up getting it sorted through a local MP. Office moved from Croydon to Liverpool and something got lost in the system. We couldnt leave during that time as they had the passport. We found the getting in easy but the finalisation difficult. My wife couldnt work until she had the final version, which was frustrating.

Disclaimer: A friend of mine who was married and his wife from the former soviet Union, despite them having a child who is a uk national faces torture every time they want a holiday and have had to cancel more than once.

Moral of the story, the system has major flaws and will take AGES to sort out.

10. My Wife had her tourist visa rejected despite already having three tourist visas within her passport, as well as a previous right to remain work visa from the time we lived in the UK. We eventually gained her visa, but not before we had to spend a lot of money on gaining extra documents. When I enquired as to why some common sense could not be used and the officer look through her passport, and chack the previous applications, I was told they do not keep any record on file. My fault ultimately, for making presumptions. It is getting a bit silly now though, IMO.

It seems on each occasion now, we have to jump through even more hoops.

We spent 500 GBP on her visa on this last occasion.

11. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

It irritates me that there is such inconvenience and cost involved in returning to the UK with a non-UK wife, particularly (as in many cases) marriage has been for a number of years (9 in my case).
    It is pretty obvious that such cases aren't marriages of convenience purely to get UK residency/passports.
    Common sense and fairness should prevail.

12. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Aren't these 2 sentences contradictory??

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

In what sense?

14. towncryer

towncryer New commenter

It seems on each occasion now, we have to jump through even more hoops.

Yes,I agree. It gets harder and more expensive every year just to get a few weeks to make a visit.If the spouse has had visas before and/or lived in the uk previously....I cannot understand why renewing/reissuing a visa has to be such problem. If they haven't been engaged in any illegal activites or overstayed their visa at any time then the visa process should get easier...not harder.

15. towncryer

towncryer New commenter