1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

married couple jobs at different schools accommodation rules?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by shelly_holl, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Hi,
    me and my fiancée have been offered jobs at different schools in Dubai, does anyone know how the accommodation package works if you are married and working in different schools, don't really want to come over and be searching for somewhere to live, do they allow married couples to live in the school apartments, but you only get he package from one school?

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Generally speaking, in this sort of situation, one person in the couple is given full benefits from their school to cover both people (housing, flights, insurance, etc) and the other person gets nothing but salary from their school.
    But that's general. There are other scenarios. The schools might well want to divvy things up a little more equitably so one isn't paying double what the other pays. Or they might have policies that specify exactly what they can and can't do.
    You need to work this out with the schools in question before you sign contracts. The one thing I can't stress enough is that you shouldn't (not that you even suggested you were thinking of it) try to get double benefits by misleading the schools. I've seen this sort of scenario blow up quite dramatically, and it was the teachers who ended up very unhappy. Schools don't like to feel taken advantage of. (Again, you never suggested such a thing, and I'm sure you wouldn't, so this advice is just for any random dishonest person who happens across this post.) Tell the schools exactly what is going on, and work out a reasonable solution before you accept the posts, whether verbally or in writing, and certainly before you sign contracts.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Oh, and congratulations! Have a great time if you decide to go.

4. Congratulations to you too! I am looking for a job in Dubai in FS1 or 2 and am applying now (very exciting). However, I want to obviously go with my husband who is in catering and my 18 months old son. Any ideas if they will take us all as I will need to find nursery for my son and also accommodation for us not sure how this works? Its a big life changing decision for us any advice would be great.

5. thanks for the help, that sounds fine as long as we can still save what we planned, didn't want to end up worse off because we are at different schools!