1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

marriage breakdown

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by jonowen, Feb 26, 2011.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I have a close friend who celebrated his 10th wedding anniversary recently, but for the last 6 months he has felt the "hen-pecking" and resulting rows are unbearable. He feels his life would be happier if he was alone but doesn't want to give up. His wife is under considerable stress (family and work) and he wants to support her - how long is "reasonable support" ? I've been through something similar and come out the other side, but this guy is so distraught - what can I say to him?

2. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I have a close friend who celebrated his 10th wedding anniversary recently, but for the last 6 months he has felt the "hen-pecking" and resulting rows are unbearable. He feels his life would be happier if he was alone but doesn't want to give up. His wife is under considerable stress (family and work) and he wants to support her - how long is "reasonable support" ? I've been through something similar and come out the other side, but this guy is so distraught - what can I say to him?

3. Why does he think that drawing a line under it is "giving up"? If carrying on his life in a manner he has any reason to think is reasonable (he might want to check that out) can only result in "hen-pecking" from a wife who clearly thinks it isn't, shouldn't you just both accept that you can't bear each other at close daily quarters and call it a day? Bad call, bad choice, goodnight.

4. Wife is under considerable stress. Might that be a clue to the "henpecking"? Perhaps looking at ways to reduce that stress is the way forward rather than bailing out just because it is getting difficult.

5. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Well i think if he knows his wife is under considerable stress and the ''hen pecking' has only been for 6 months out of a, presumably, ten year happy marriage then he needs to support her more in practical ways and make her feel cherished. Considering 'bailing out' makes me think that he is either a wimp or has another agenda.

6. Not enough information. She could change her job (but hasn't) but she's stuck with her family.