1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marmite - love or hate?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 16, 2020.

?

Do you like marmite?

1. Love it

35 vote(s)
    79.5%
  2. Hate it

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. I have splinters from the fence I'm sat on

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. 2020 indifference

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

For 44 years I've hated marmite... never got the taste for it...

But...

If I roll out puff pastry... then layer on marmite.... the mature cheddar... then bacon... then roll it up before slicing across to make a swiss roll style pastry thing... then bake for 25 mins...

Yeah... I like marmite...

2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I love it. Which I shouldn't as I'm very saltist in my tastes and marmite is salty. Toasted crumpets with butter and marmite. Yum. I did try that Nigella thing of pasta tossed with butter and marmite and grated cheese. Thought I'd love that. I didn't.

sadscientist and Jesmond12 like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've eaten three of them since I made them...

Marmite is evil with cheese!

primarycat likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ooooh... that sounds interesting...

moose2, Marshall and primarycat like this.
  5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Absolutely love it and as you know I have been extolling the virtues of this on another thread.

6DB9EAC8-74F8-4728-ACBF-8736983564CF.jpeg

Delicious.

welshwales, primarycat and lanokia like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes... meaning to keep an eye open for that.

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Sounds like ersatz anchovy palmiers.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

10. jazzed up

jazzed up New commenter

Nothing can beat banana and marmite sandwiches imho!

Jesmond12 likes this.
  11. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Can't stand the stuff. Mind you, I have a guiness one in the cupboard, goodness knows how long it's been there. Mr GW bought it as it a special edition at the time.

12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Marmite on toast, a little margarine or butter first to dampen it. Delicious!

13. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I like the Marmite mini cheddar cheeses, but not keen on it as a spread. It gives gravy a good flavour.

Shedman and primarycat like this.
  14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Love it! When I was pregnant, I used to have a special small nearly-empty jar which I would take the top off and smell when I had morning sickness - worked a treat to quell the queasiness. Also worked for travel sickness, although I did get some funny looks on the bus!

15. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

@lanokia

From your poll....What is 2020 indifference? Is it inferior or superior to common-or-garden indifference? Is it like 2020 vision - indifference with particular clarity? Is it indifference valid only for 12 months?

Rott Weiler and bombaysapphire like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indifference with clarity is spot on.

Valid pretty much for the entire decade.

Jamvic likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Can't say I'm that crazy about it.

Too salty for me.

The Peanut Butter version - can't imagine how awful that must be.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Four now.

I have earned MrsLan's disapproval!

Win!!!

primarycat likes this.
  19. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

You might as well finish them off now...

20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I enjoyed Marmite on toast as a kid, but I can't remember the last time I paricularly fancied it. I think the thing that will have discouraged me from ensuring we had a jar of it in the house had nothing at all with a desire not to reminisce about my childhood dining experiences, it has more to do with with the use of the product inapproptiately, such as with Twiglets, which are awful, Marmite flavoured peanuts and crisps and the like.

It never works the same way.

Marmite in its heyday, was a relatively cheap way to get kids to eat bread. It never surpassed the enjoyment of eating doorstep slices of bread cooked on a coal fire with lashings of butter. Nothing ever could. It was a way of enabling people to add flavour to a tasteless sliced loaf produced by the Chorleywood method.

I recall I had more enjoyment that I had from eating Marmite on those tasteless sliced loaves that were able to offer, than I had from the waxed wrappers they came in, because when the bread was gone, you could use the wrapper to go down the playground slide on to speed it up and make the ride a lot more exciting.

I'm unable to say whether this caused a death or serious accident, but the parkie banned the use of waxed bread paper on the slide. If I had to hazzard a guess, this decision would have been just as likely to have been made over his annoyance at the litter those discarded bread wrappers cause as it would have done back then over H&S concerns.

I have had to endure more than enough breakfasts in hotels where individual containers of Marmite were offerred among the selection of marmlades and jams and confess that having tried one once, I never did it twice.

Marmite on toast ain't a patch on Marmalade, and in truth, on the very few occasions the hotel offered me proper toast, I always preferred it just buttered.

It's one of those things where less is more is easy to appreciate, but can't be experienced if you don't get the chance to eat proper toast.

caress likes this.