1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marmalade!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Oct 4, 2018.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I know it's considered old-fashioned but I absolutely love lashings of marmalade on my morning toast! However, I am struggling to find a brand with plenty of peel and is not too sloppy or stiff. The best I have found that was readily available in Tesco was Bonne Maman, but they no longer stock it. Any suggestions?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You are Paddington Bear and I claim my £5

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I'm afraid I'm a Roses lime marmalade person, but OH has a variety of tastes and has just started on Aldi marmalade and is most impressed!! (He's dead picky so I was surprised :eek:)

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I’ll second Aldi marmalade.

6. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

Hang on a couple of months and then make your own. Nothing beats it!

nomad and knitone like this.
  7. BertieBassett2

Ah, now I didn't like the Aldi marmalade! Shame really, as dirt cheap.

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

We always have Frank Cooper's Vintage Oxford Marmalade (the 'Original' variety is also excellent).

[​IMG]
    Used to be made here in Oxford - but not, alas, any more, although they have a marmalade museum in the city centre. Available from Waitrose and others.

9. BertieBassett2

10. BertieBassett2

That one is just a bit too bitter for me - I am very fussy! Has anyone tried making the 'Mamade' in the tins?

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I always pick the peel out of mine - I could send it to you.

12. BertieBassett2

I once bought a jar of marmalade with no peel - I was beside myself. I ended up putting it on my porridge because I couldn't bear to waste it.

border_walker and InkyP like this.
  13. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Frank Cooper for me too, just original one.

nomad, annie2010 and emerald52 like this.
  14. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Frank Cooper Original here too. If anyone knows of a similar one that is cheaper that would be great. I stock up when Sainsbury’s have it on offer.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Husband likes Sainsbury's own Extra Thick. He really ladles it on but has no butter.

16. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

"Marmalade is tasty when it's very thickly spread."
    I use the Lakeland tins which are the same as the Marmade ones, but I can find them in the shops. Also, you don't have to do it in January, when you don't have time. You can buy the tins and make it whenever you need to.
    It's good stuff and remarkably easy to make. There are two kinds of orange marmalade - thick cut and medium cut - and lemon marmalade.
    I also have a really easy recipe for grapefruit marmalade. Just say if you'd like it.
    Honestly, jam and marmalade are easy to make and so much yummier. And cheaper. And you know what's in them.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Lidl do a thick cut marmalade. Not a brand you would have heard of (Maribel) but it is very nice. 99p a jar but they often have it on half price offer. When they do we carry off a few jars. They also have thin cut plus fruit jams in the same brand. All are very good and again often at 49p a jar.

18. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I don’t like the peel. So it’s shredless for me every time. My grandad used to make the Mamade stuff.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Maleficent prefers Sainsbury's Basics marmalade. In the days when I could have made my escape I used to bring her toast and sausages covered in marmalade for breakfast.

nomad likes this.
  20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I prefer my marmalade like this

[​IMG]

BertieBassett2 likes this.