1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

marks and spencer's nearly killed me tonight..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Jun 29, 2011.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I was coming down a (short) sliproad onto a motorway - at 50 mph intending to come onto the motorway before a lorry which was quite a good distance away - the speed limit here on the stretch of motorway is 50 MPH - but
    the lorry was going so fast it just flashed me and blew its horn
    I had to drive into the hard shoulder.
    The next car behind the lorry let me in, no problems and read the situation quickly and neatly.
    The M and S lorry drove away, shortly after pulling into the middle lane, then the outer lane (permitted at this point) and doing at least 60 mph I should think.
    Not just a near miss, and M and S near miss.

2. Having just avoided you it would seem.

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Sounds scary. I hope you're not too shaken up by it.

4. At least only the lorry flashed you! The last time I thought I was observing the speed limit I got flashed for getting it so so wrong! What is it with M&S parks? My old man has never had so much as a parking ticketall his nearly 40-yr drivng life but got his car written off by some dumb tart who didn't reallise that doing 40 up a slip road meant you'd never have to stop if the person in front of you did!

5. As you have a pretty good idea of time and location, I would write to their head office and tell them.

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Oh no
    the lorry did not pull into the middle lane for quite some way ahead of the near miss situation.
    It kept on going in the left lane which is why I had to avoid it.
    I know you should never cause another driver to change speed or direction. Not even on a slip road joining a motorway. But if you do not come fast on this particular slip road, you would end up standing still at the end of the slip road - waiting for a gap in an endless stream of traffic doing at least 50 and often going faster than this. The only way to get on the motorway is to be doing the same speed as the traffic and joining it bravely and decisively. If you slow down or dither you would probably end up starting a pile up on the slip road. The lorry had only just come into my sight around the corner and if it had been doing 50 miles an hour I would have been able to join the motorway without any bother at all, just slip into the traffic stream ahead of it. You only get a few choices on a motorway slip road, go in front of the oncoming traffic or look for a gap a bit further back and try to judge getting into this.
    It's a very short slip road with bad visibility.
    And after that the traffic has to change lanes to choose options for routes, hence the 50 speed limit I guess.

7. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

"As you are doing this going along the slip road you should if possible
    be looking across and in your mirror for your gap. you do not have to go
    right to the end of the slip road, if a gap presents itself, fill it.
    Any driver worthy of the name already on the motorway should be aware
    that they are passing a junction and should also be looking for and
    anticipating traffic joining the main carriageway and should be ready
    for you.

Perhaps the most important thing is avoid hitting the brakes and coming
    to a near stop, unless absolutely and totally necessary. This is what
    can really cause an accident and confuse other drivers of your
    intentions. You intend to join the motorway, so go for it and present
    yourself on the road and make your intention clear to other drivers,
    that way they can move over and allow you in if that is what is needed."
    I thought so. I am still a bit shaken up. The lorry had no intention of avoiding me or slowing down. I took evasive action and managed to steer along the hard shoulder, doing quite some speed still.
    The lorry was speeding, really speeding. I use this junction every working day and I know how to use it properly.
    The fact that is disappeared withing seconds in front of my eyes WHEN I was by then doing 50 miles per hour, shows how fast it was going.

8. So the M & S truck was going too fast for you to remember its reg? A phone call to his company might be quite chastening for the driver.

9. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

While the registration number would have been helpful, a phonecall to the HQ with details of time and location might be able to pinpoint the vehicle, they may even be so concerned that you get some M&S vouchers? (Ok unlikely and a bit mercenary).