1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marks and Spencer issues!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HelenREMfan, Oct 28, 2015.

1. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I started Christmas shopping yesterday and was encouraged by M & S to join their new "Sparks" scheme. So later last night I went to their site. Well.... after messing about for 15+ mins trying to get to the right place to register this Sparks card without any success I finally started to go into "my account". Only... it wasn't mine... I was actually in another person's account which finally made sense of the 3 size 8 items in my checkout (I wasn't born a size 8!)
    Light began to dawn on me that here was an issue. On the personal details page were this lady's name, address, email, dob, (and her size !) I was pretty horrified and decided I should contact M & S to see what was going on (bearing in mind the recent Talk Talk hacking issue)
    20 minutes of hanging onto the ubiquitous muzak I finally spoke with a customer services person, who, to be fair, was pleasant and trying to be helpful but who was unable to reassure me (prob singing from the company song sheet as to "All will be well in an hour or so." I outlined the fact that with data protection etc I was really concerned and not at all reassured that my personal details might also be all over the Internet! I requested that someone in a senior position contact me from M & S.
    It hasn't happened.
    I did as my friend suggested and looked at Mail online as she told me they were reporting it. Sure enough there was a short article about problems on the M7S website. I left a comment as to my experience .

On accessing my email this morning there was an email from a DM "senior reporter" asking me to respond. I did and 30 minutes later I received a phone call asking me about the issues I had described. The reporter asked me was I willing to be included in an article ! I discussed with her what she thought I should do re this poor lady in Shropshire whose life details I had from M&S and we decided I should email her and alert her. This I did and I have just received a reply from her saying she was contacted by people all last night, hadn't slept a wink all night as a consequence and was still waiting for contact from M&S after she had phoned them re this.

I am pretty horrified at how M & S have responded to all this. I thought I was a bit worried about it all till I received the email reply from the lady I contacted and she is obviously upset by it all. What would one do now I wonder?

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm becoming increasingly wary about ordering stuff online, now.
    Mind you, when I was getting estimates for my AVCs I was sent, by post, the forecast for someone else which included all their details. I informed the company but they didn't seem too bothered and just told me to destroy the paperwork.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I got a Sparks card yesterday and registered it in store. I used it to buy the boots I'd just picked up. It worked so I guess it must BE registered, but then I had an email about passwords etc. I'm not going to give them any credit/ debit card details. Especially after last night!

I agree @Dunteaching, it's a very risky business!
    On the other hand, I never check one of my bank accounts online because they're security systems are incomprehensible. They send paper statements, which rather defeats the object.

4. hermitcrabbe

hermitcrabbe Established commenter

Done the Christmas shopping already. None of it at M&S.

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I also signed up to their new Sparks scheme the day before yesterday, and the card has been sitting by the computer, waiting for me to register it, ever since.

I thought about doing so last night, but didn't get around to it. I'm glad I didn't: what a can of worms! Am feeling very sorry for the lady Helen has spoken about.

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I want to cry.

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I know what you mean. I'll go to my hairdresser's house next week to get my hair done and she'll tell me how she's bought everything and wrapped it up already.

I'd love to be so organised - or even have a clue what to get people. It gets more difficult with every passing year.

8. hermitcrabbe

Please do not be upset.I may seem a bit smug - I probably am.

I do not do M&S because I find them over priced and besides there isn't really one near me. I would have to drive some 20 miles.

We do not do a big Christmas in my house. I bought Crabettes presents on line as I knew what was wanted. I bought Christmas cards last week( 10 for 99p) . Should be enough to see us through.
    I got a turkey ( small - enough for four , we are three) from Tesco for a fiver when they were doing them on an offer locally. Its in the freezer. I bought the Christmas pud from B&M ( £1.99) and 3 selection boxes on offer. The rest came from Asda. I like to do it early. As a single parent I have to check in early with Christmas. :)

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Er, @hermitcrabbe, that's kinda the point. You don't NEED to have a shop near you to buy online?

10. hermitcrabbe

My point is that there is nothing at M&S to attract me into buying it - online or otherwise.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh, the comments about not being near and having to drive 20 miles must've misled me.

12. hermitcrabbe

I think you failed to focus. I made the point clearly in the first half of the sentence that you clearly did not read - to wit:

"I do not do M&S because I find them over priced ...... "

13. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Be fair, GDW. Hermitcrabbe did also say their stuff's overpriced.

Edit: sorry, crossed posts. There's usually an alert to let you know if something else has been posted. I like that but it didn't appear this time.