1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Markings

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by MathDen, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hi,

I am a math teacher.

Is there anybody, who could share more ideas or tricks on how to speed up work on markings. I'd be interested to hear what tricks people here use to save time. Thanks!

2. Hi,

Thanks for your idea - I will ask the head of our department whether we can get this done! I like the idea of stickers or stamps :) Thanks!

3. Peer or self-marking, with you simply adding the stickers as suggested above.

Kids mark their work. They get instant feedback on progress so they can write down whether they have understood or not. This is AfL etc, and can be used legitemately as a means of demonstrating to observors that learning has taken place.

If not, a class of 20 kids that do 30 questions each in a lesson (very hypothetical at my place, but I've heard that this can happen), means that in a week, your marking will be:

22x20x30 = 13200 ticks or crosses, before you've even made any comments or written levels etc.

Hi,

I have tried this suggestion and I liked it but I then had complaints from parents saying that their respective children were upset and embarrassed that other peers were looking at their work. I never thought this would happen!!! It put an end to it but I thought it was a really valuable exercise, for both the student doing the work and the student marking it!

4. I love this idea! I will use it this week. THANKS !!

5. I have suggested to our school that they pay for a subscription for students, so the students can do homework on a subscriber site. Right now that looks unlikely. I am looking at how much it would cost me to buy a subscription that the students can use.