1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking

Discussion in 'English' started by gruoch, Feb 3, 2012.

1. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

1 assessment per half term-ish. This time I'll have done a writing and a s/l for Yr 7, reading for 8 and I share a Yr 9 and we've done 1 reading. Books marked once a fortnight (with formative comments - otherwise ticks). We've just had subject OFSTED and HMI and the dept has been judged exemplary for marking.

2. Can I ask what pupils say in response to your marking? I find the fact that you are in "serious trouble " if pupil responses aren't there strange.. Surely if pupils are set targets by you through formative feedback then they respond by improving their next piece of work? I'm just wondering as we are discussing this issue in my dept at the moment...

3. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

I think it's a good idea to pull people up if students do no respond to comments/targets specifically addressed to them on a piece of work. For a start, if an error is made, there is high chance that the error will be contextualised through the task. Secondly, relying on a student to remember the target by reading it is, I imagine, not so good. Therefore, if there are no pupil responses, you can safely guess that some/most/all students have read the targets cursorily.

I use a randomiser to select pupils every lesson, and only select hands-up for reading, questions or homework feedback. It's good to ensure that all pupils complete tasks with appropriate receptiveness. In the case of responding to comments, I would expect students to read my comment, and their response to their partner, who would judge whether they had responded in enough depth (whatever that means!) before one randomly selected pair reads their targets and responses to the class. No longer than 5 mins, the entire exercise, I think. Like hell I'm going to mark at length on a Sunday morning without them reading it!

4. What do they write in response? Can you give me an example?

5. Perhaps one response might be: "I must not write overly verbose comments and responses which do not answer the question or questions posed. I must remember to aim for concision at all times and not over-complicate matters with redundant words, phrases or comments".

6. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

We've been developing this system. Responses should be in the context of the student actually addressing their target, so if there's are spelling errors they can correct these, or write out a sentence using correct punctuation. If they've been doing PEEL practice for example, and they haven't explored the evidence in enough detail, they can add to the work they've done.
    This way they are focusing on their targets immediately and engaging in improving the work, rather than waiting for the next piece.
    Hope this is helpful.

7. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

In practice, the students I think need some kind of training in addressing their personal targets. At the moment, I take pictures, or use a visualiser, to model a response to the formative comments that I write. Requires a more concerted KS3 approach, though, where students are expecting a 'marking response' time, I think. Is that what you're doing MB?

8. manc

manc New commenter

I think I understand some of that. Now I am going to lie down in a cool room.

9. So for example a pupil has answered a question about a poem but they haven't written about the reader's response, I would write "What would the effect be on the reader?" and pupils would have to read through their work and answer this question.
    I found this really difficult to manage so what I've done is made a marking rota so that on a Monday I mark Y10 books, Tues Y8 etc and then one lesson per week, pupils have to respond to feeback lesson where they go through their books and respond to feedback for the first 15 mins.
    Now that I'm starting to get on top of it, I can really see the progress they're making and it's great. The only problem is when a pupil is absent on the day when they respond to feedback. I need to double check they get it done when they return.