1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking!

Discussion in 'English' started by sam_b_88, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hi there,

I'm an NQT and whilst I absolutely love my job, I'm finding it so hard to keep up with the mark load!

Does anybody have any hints/tips as to how they manage their marking? Also does it get any easier as you gain experience? At the minute, I've got my 10% NQT allowance but I'm worried about next year when I lose that extra time.

2. Hi there,

I'm an NQT and whilst I absolutely love my job, I'm finding it so hard to keep up with the mark load!

Does anybody have any hints/tips as to how they manage their marking? Also does it get any easier as you gain experience? At the minute, I've got my 10% NQT allowance but I'm worried about next year when I lose that extra time.

3. You'll get faster and develop a mental bank of comments and targets that will speed up the process. I've heard of teachers using stamps for obvious and repeated comments...

4. Thanks - stamps sound good. I'll look into them :)

5. I think I can help with an idea I found on here and have done for two years now and love. Have 3 coloured boxes - green, amber red. At the end of each appropriate lesson, the children put ther work in the appropriate box. If they are very confident with what they have learnt that lesson green, less confident but want more practice amber etc. This is great self assessment. Then I mark the red box first when I feel most awake and up for it! Then amber then green. I manage to do one box in lunchtime and sometimes a box before I go home. Then it feels so much more managebale and less tot ake home. Good boxes from Really Useful Boc Company- Hobby craft do them!
    Hope it helps

6. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Firstly, find a school that has a manageable marking policy. Mine school is rating outstanding, and we mark a class set of books once every 4-5 weeks on average for formative marking. I aim to mark roughly once a week, but that's a stamp. If a student has truly not achieved in a lesson - or conversely has - then I'll handle that then. Lower sets usually receive more thorough marking.

Any formative marking I do MUST be followed up by the students responding to the comment in time given. No good writing something for them if they don't respond themselves.

When it comes to marking practice essays for Year 10, a good rule of thumb is roughly 5-10 minutes per paper. In a class of 30 this means you'll spend about 2:30 hours+ marking. I have a timer that pings every 5 minutes, and take a short break every 40 minutes or so.

I mark for one thing at a time. I don't correct everything in students' work.

I have a set of class stamps from a mail order company in York. Google them or PM me. Most used are:

Objective Achieved (which is my tick for books)
    -- says good work (which is my merit stamp)
    Target (allows me to just write what they need to do to improve, which is useful for rapid book marking.
    Connective Needed (used frequently for KS4 essays!)

Another great tip is to have the students hand their books in separate from their folders and open to their last piece of work. The time to remove a book from a folder and turn to the correct page can be substantial over 100(0s) of books. I once spent a summer delivering leaflets, so I really know about how saved seconds add up!

The idea of red and amber boxes is a particularly good idea.

7. You've given me some brilliant ideas - thank you!

I would love to have a four week turnaround but our school's policy is to mark every book once per week and it is absolutely killing me. What is worse is that I'm finding that it really affects the quality of my marking and also it cuts into my planning time (not to mention my non-existent social life!).

I'll have a go of some of your ideas and, hopefully, my life will gradually be made easier!

Thanks again :)

8. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

If your school is insistent, I would ask them how long they expect each book to take? If they don't give you that time, and you don't feel like tick and flick, then specific with someone senior an amount of time per book, per week. Perhaps they mean that the pupils feel that their books are being looked at and marked with one focus each week. You really need to be speaking to colleagues on this one.