1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking

Discussion in 'English' started by DalekTeacher, Feb 22, 2011.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hi,
    I was wondering if I could ask for some advice. I am marking some coursework at the moment, and they appear to be 'A' grade in their quality. There are some well expressed pieces of work that show original and valid interpretations. However, I am concerned, that if I give them an 'A', it will just get moderated back down.
    I was just wondering, is it better to go a grade below what you think it is or be generous?
    Dalekteacher.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

You need to mark in line with your department. If a piece hits the criteria for an A, it's an A. If you're not sure, mark them all and give experienced colleagues a middle A, a middle B and a middle C and get their opinion. So long as you're marking consistently, it'll be easy to adjust your marking if you're being too generous or severe. In my experience, NQTs tend to be over generous when marking.

3. DalekTeacher

Some of my previous marking was looked at and I was told that I was on the harsh side with my marking. I think I was out by a grade or two with some, as I gave one that was a solid A, a very low B. I am going to give a sample of mine to be looked at for verification, one is a top A, and the others are middle B and a low end C in my opinion. If they come back fine, does that mean, my judgement is accurate?
    Feel like a rubbish teacher with this at the moment because it seems to be hard to mark these and come to a determined, fair judgement.

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Marking is hard - at least, marking accurately is!
    I am consistently harsh when I mark - I get moved up on GCSE scripts and am always moderated up internally. The main thing, though, is to be consistent. When you start overthinking things, you can become inconsistent and that is the worst possible outcome.
    It means that your marking is in line with that of whoever looks at it.
    The best thing you can do is use the mark scheme as accurately and consistently as you can, to annotate clearly and thoroughly (in pencil) to explain your thinking, and then to see what your more experienced colleagues say.

5. DalekTeacher

Hi,
    I always try and be accurate. The previous work that has been looked at has been agreed in the past and I always try and get mine checked by different colleagues to ensure I am correct. I then ensure I have them agree it and will always write that at the end of the script.
    I have the mark scheme with me at all times and look at it and evaluate it once I have finished marking a piece. I am quite surprised with some of the exemplar pieces that are given an 'A' by the exam board as some of mine seem better than the exemplars, but avoid giving the same types of marks.
    I annotate the scripts when I find anything that links to the criteria, and even more so, when elements of the higher grades are being shown. I also include a summative comment at the end with the mark and band that I have decided, with reasons for my explanation.
    I don't think I am going to mark anymore till my marks have been confirmed.
    I was wondering, do the exam board request every single folder to be moderated and looked at? How does the exam board deal with the moderation of folders?

6. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I would suggest you keep going. The more you mark, the more you internalise the mark scheme and it all gets quicker and easier. Then put them in rank order and see if you have got them right.
    Schools are supposed to moderate their marking but the boards don't specify how it should be done. I've worked in schools where every folder is checked by other teachers, where only a few of each grade are checked and where buddy checking is relied on so it does vary. Unless you are a small centre, a random sample will be requested. I think it's about 10%. You submit the marks and the moderator sends a list of names across the mark range which you send off straight away. Your HOD should ensure all of your folders are marked and annotated and that your marks are accurate.

7. This is the big trade-off. In return for teaching the coolest subject, we have to do the most (and most difficult) marking!
    Obviously, accuracy is, to a point, subjective. In every moderation meeting I've attended, there's been at least one piece that's split a department, often over a couple of grades. It's all down to interpretation. My marking is sometimes slightly harsh (which is better than slightly generous, IMO), but that's why you moderate - eventually you come to the fairest mark according to all the staff in your department.
    Still, better than teaching maths.