1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking work as a supply teacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tweetypi88, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Quick question: as a supply teacher are you expected to mark work set by the teacher or do you leave it to them? I would of course mark work that I had set but just wondered whether they'd prefer to mark the work that they has set for their class?

2. Quick question: as a supply teacher are you expected to mark work set by the teacher or do you leave it to them? I would of course mark work that I had set but just wondered whether they'd prefer to mark the work that they has set for their class?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Always a tricky one!
    Personally I've always marked work to 'show willing' but if there's a marking policy (colour to be used, acceptable known symbols etc.)then I usually say something along the lines of 'felt it better that you mark and suggest ways to improve/ mark using you school criteria with which I am unfamiliar/ as you know the individuals capabilities better than I' etc.
    I do however carry a set of star stickers and stamps which I reward the children for any work they produce and sign my initials so SMT /Ofsted etc know it has been marked by someone else.

4. Unless told not to (like wonderful bookings where you're told you're supervising kids doing optional SATs* for the morning but the class teacher wants to mark them themselves) I always mark as best I can - in the same colour as the class teacher (or if they take the approach I tended to of whatever pen was to hand - the same general colour as them) and I try to flick back a couple of pages to check what "tone" they mark in - because some schools it's much more of a response to the content of the writing, some schools it's very much a refer back to the LO, some schools have so many codes and acronyms it's like a plate of alphabetti spaghetti, and then I always noted down it was "supply" work. I never used stamps or stickers on books unless there was a precedent for it - but would give them to the kids directly for them to put on jumpers, pencil cases or lose by 10.01am.

5. Like the others I always mark to the best of my ability and always sign each piece with my initials and "supply teacher" so that it is clear. I now have a stamp that says marked by supply so that's even easier.

6. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I would mark the work. I used to mark the work and tend to give comments, but not specific targets or anything like that. Now I am in a permanent position I usually leave an answer sheet/ book if possible and ask for it to be peer-marked. Sometimess this is not always possiible, but mostly I have come back to marked work anyway.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

All our agency supply teachers mark the work and leave feedback as to how the day went.

A couple of people we employ directly, and have done for years and years and years, do not.

Depends if you want to be asked back or not.

8. I always expect work to be marked if a supply teacher is in my class, and always marked whatever I taught when I was on supply. The work may well be set by the class teacher but if you're not setting it or marking it then you're not really doing much in my opinion. I don't expect loads of comments but a tick and a well done is much better than nothing. If a teacher is off sick and the work isn't being marked, it would be a nightmare for them when they come back. Imagine being faced with loads of marking - bleeurgh!

9. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

As a head - I expect the work to be marked and feedback left. If not thenI won't use you again!