1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking tips to save time :)

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Milkandchalk, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Why do the green amber and red trays have to relate specifically to maths? I have used them in the past and any work the children have done has gone into the appropriately coloured tray. If you have three for maths, then there's the potential for three for language, three for topic work......
    Time saving tips:
    Peer assessment, self assessment, maths is a prime example of where self marking comes into play, give the children a pen and the answer book then sign and date when they're finished marking to show you've seen it. Get the whole group out with a pen, give them someone elses book and then read out the answers. They can decided whether the person they're marking deserves a sticker, write their own messages of encouragement/pieces of advice etc.
    Writing-wise, choose one group to assess per week. There's nothing worse than trying to mark 30 pieces of writing in one evening. It's pretty demoralising. Split the class into smaller numbers and properly assess one group a week.
    Look at the AiFL strategies as well, they're designed to help. If a child is marking themselves as green, then do you really need to assess the entire page?

2. I'm a supply teacher until I can get a full-time job and have picked up lots of great ideas.
    In one class when doing a worksheet the children go and mark their own when they're done. This means they get instant feedback and can query anything with you at the time.

3. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Do you think its okay in a school not to mark every jotter...in terms of writing...my whole class is at the same level although supported in different ways....should I spend the whole week marking like you say 30 jotters or should I only choose half the class...how will the other half know what they have done well...or need to work on. What about if I have a planning lesson before every writing lesson?

4. If i am creating a worksheet or writing template, I include the success criteria as a bullet point list (choose the bullet points that look like ticky boxes) - then i only have to tick and add a comment.

5. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

With writing, why not have 3 groups, one group will be assessed by you, one group self assess against the criteria and the other group peer assess against the criteria. You should always sign jotters to show that you have seen the work in them.

6. We do this and it works well. Each group is marked by you every 3 weeks. We have a closing the gap lesson where we assess the work (one group with teacher, others peer/self assessing). Before that I flick through the jotters and find something common they need to work on (could be grammar, or descriptive language etc) and then while I am target setting with the group who I am assessing, the others work on improving part of their writing. That way each group get a conference with you about their work every 3 weeks. Takes training .......... I sign and tick the jotters to show I have seen the comments made by them self or a peer.
    Marking can take so long, especially in the upper years. I sometimes found other ways of doing things that didn't require marking (lots of whiteboard work). I always got the children to mark their own maths - they liked doing it this way as they always asked about their mistakes at the time. After the lesson I would flick through and stamp/write brief comment to show I had seen the work. I also traffic lighted the work in a record sheet which was fantastic at parents night and when writing reports.