1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking On Supply??

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by JIM07, Sep 15, 2012.

1. JIM07

JIM07 New commenter

Hi all.
    Yesterday I had a large class of 31 Year 3 kids. I had to do break duty so didn't get a chance to mark their morning work. I tried to catchup over lunchtime, however, I didn't get very far. As a demanding class, I didn't get a chance to sit down + mark which I normally do during task activities. Anyway by the end of the day I had piles of books and sheets to mark. This was a shock to the system!! I do feel, however, that some teachers leave you an awful work load to complete on purpose..I'm convinced! Wanted to check how you all cope with the marking side of supply??

2. This can happen. I used to think that they did it on purpose but now I'm of the opinion that it's lack of thought, lack of time or both. Generally if I can ask a class teacher how they want their work marked they are usually pretty generous about it. I do a lot of repeat PPA cover and if I've been in additionally during the morning the workload can be very heavy. I always mark and record something in the child's book BUT have developed a strategy for coping.
    I am passionate about peer marking and self-assessment with discussion about the mistakes and misconceptions which come to light as well as extending their thinking aboout what we have been working on.
    I also make sure I do a lot of mini-plenaries , marking different tasks as we go.
    I've found that producing an annotated class list for those still working to LO goes down well/ much quicker for the teacher to pick up on progress made.
    Some people spend hours, which is not fair as a supply teacher. Some people stamp 'marked by supply' and don't really bother. I try to make mine purposeful and meaningful to the child but not onerous for me.
    Hope this helps

3. You may want to be careful with this, I have been in some schools whereby if the head or another teacher walks in and sees you marking during lesson time, they adopt the attitude that you are paid to teach during teaching times. My agency makes it perfectly clear that all books need to be marked and you stay after school for upto half an hour to do so. Also the agency requests that you leave a resume of what you have done. I've always adhered to these requests, I get lots of work, 3 days in the first week back, 4 days in the last week of term, etc. At the end of the day, it comes down to whether you want to work or not. Put yourself out, do the necessary, the coffers will fill up; don't & they won't. Simple! Flick & tick is all that is necessary - check whether red is a no no, some schools very fussy about this, others don't care. Keep a running diary of what you do during the day, subject taught & a few lines. Leave the notes for the teacher, together with the books marked, reference you have marked them, tidy the classroom, etc & go. I have been challenged, as I left the building, on occassions by headteachers as to whether I have done all the marking & left a note for the teacher.
    OK! So, which would you rather have....too little & the kids are climbing the walls out of boredom & you haven't got enough to keep them quiet or too much that you'll never get through it all! So, play the game, reduce the pressure on the class to complete all the work, pace yourself, explain in the note you leave that you didn't get through it all because it was too much. Because you are seen to have done marking and left a note, you will acknowledged to have given it your best shot!

4. baileysonice

baileysonice New commenter

This thread is brilliant. I've just started on supply and I've been marking until around 6pm (yesterday the caretaker was rounding me up!).

Admittedly I'm probably not yet back up to speed following a period of illness at the end of last year, but I can't keep these hours up and as my daily rate is £105, I was earning about £10 an hour after starting at 8am. Do people correct errors and write comments or is flick and tick simply that?

I've been adding my initials and "supply" but the information one school handed me said just doing that would not be accepted!

I notice in visitors' books that supply staff from my agency seem to leave soon after the pupils - how?! Any advice gratefully received - thanks.

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi baileyonice

I think that there has to be a balance somewhere. I usually work in secondary, but this week did four days in a primary school teaching Year 5 and it was an eye opener. In secondary schools unless you are on a long term contract, you are never expected to mark work. From reading this thread, I knew that I would be expected to mark the children's books in primary, so I knew somewhat in advance what I would need to do in terms of marking. I decided I would mark what I could in one hour from the close of the school day and have just about managed to mark 31 books each day. No one told me I had to mark the books, I just did it. I looked at the way the books had been marked and copied that.

I get a lower rate when I do primary instead of secondary but I can tell you my day is three times as hard in a primary classroom especially with all the marking involved.

I've made a rule for myself though that I won't stay past one hour of school ending time. In my view the school is getting a good deal for that in view of the number of children I am responsible for in one day. If I can't mark it in one hour then it won't get marked by me!

6. baileysonice

Thanks pepper5. I was in y5 yesterday and had both maths and literacy books to mark plus I left a lengthy note about various issues that had arisen with the class that day. I've decided to try and stay no more than an hour after a half day, and no more than 1.5 hours after a full day - so 5pm at latest. Don't know how I'll feel about leaving any worked unmarked though if time runs out...

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I wouldn't give it a second thought...your priority is that the children are learning during the day and their health and safety. If you have ensured all the children are safe, relatively happy and some learning has taken place, then you have done your job. The marking is secondary.

8. baileysonice

You are so right - thanks! It's easy to forget that at times and in future I'll be pleased that some work has been produced for marking!

9. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I've got quite cross reading this. I'm very sympathetic to the plight of supply teachers having been one myself, but when you're paid to do a job, then you do it. On the last two occasions when I've had to leave work for supply, it's preparation has taken far longer than any marking. I've been in all the situations highlighted above and it is hard, but comments like 'I'll only stay an hour' don't give supply teachers a good name. Paper based activities are usually a lot easier on the supply than those which may require group work and less marking as the mix of groups may be hard. 'The marking is secondary' ??? No - feedback is proven to be one of the most effective ways of helping children make progress.

In our school, no marking = no pay or come back and get it done, it's your job if you've done the teaching.

baileysonice - if you want supply work then you have to do the job properly.

10. baileysonice

I managed to leave at 5.40pm today and I wasn't the last teacher to leave so I'm getting quicker!

Another point that occurs to me however, is that as I've now come down with a bug and am losing my voice (quite possibly picked up in a school whilst covering for a sick teacher), I obviously won't be paid if I'm unfit to work. There's no teachers' pension scheme available since the LA disbanded its supply list so I have to go through an agency. Unless anyone knows otherwise?

11. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

Ask clearly what is expected of you from your surrogate superior.

Do it.

The end.

No point in doing too much/too little and either damaging your hourly rate, or re-hire prospects. ASK.

12. Gergil: marking work that has been done by you, while you were in the class, of course, should be marked. Schools often have an expectation, especially on longer placements, that supplies will 'catch up' on marking work left untouched by the absent teacher, sometimes extending to cart-loads of course work. I would not say marking other peoples' work is part of the job.

13. sez142

sez142 New commenter

I did a days supply (although it is 1 day a week for 6weeks) recently and the note left said 'please mark the .... Books) so I looked At them and they hadn't been marked for a while....so I marked what I had done that day. Reasonable or not?

I always mark what i have done - literacy and maths. I didn't mark one bit recently cos it was something they had been working on for a while and were finishing and I didn't know what the teacher would be looking for in it.

I always leave a note to say how the day has gone and what I've done. If I was the teacher I would want to know!

14. I agree. I work on a longterm(ish) contract covering 5 or 6 teachers' PPA. I often see a weeks' or so work unmarked in the students' books. However, I mark the work that was done during my time with the class, and no other. If it's a project or something like that, I always ask if the teacher wants it marked. Frequently, they don't. I always try to catch up with the teacher at the end of the day if possible and if I cant, I leave a note. I have often stayed an extra 1 - 1 1/2 hrs marking books but it's appreciated. Word can get around if it's not done and I have gotten assignments over other supply teachers who haven't marked in one school or another.

15. Yes Myles, the common sense approach is as you say "always ask if the teacher wants it marked. " If there is too much to finish, and you are still in the classroom while the caretaker is trying to lock up (this has happened to me, all the permanent teachers had left and I was still struggling with a load of marking) -- then you have to prioritise. I'd mark literacy and maths without any question, but then if there is topic work, RE or whatever I usually explain that there wasn't enough time to do all of them.

Marking conscientiously is a pain and takes ages, but it can get you invited back to certain schools if you get a good reputation as a result.

16. casper

casper New commenter

I do not do primary anymore due to the fact that often very little work was left and it was not clear and to do with some of the attitudes of staff towards supply staff. Yes this makes me cross too!!