1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking multiplication grids

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by DleP, Sep 11, 2016.

1. DleP

DleP New commenter

If you were to use a times tables/multiplication grid as a starter in a maths class, would you bother getting your students to check their answers afterwards, ie mark them with the class? Or assume that if they've put anything down at all, they've probably got it right?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

we swap with a partner and mark each others-never assume anything!

3. DleP

DleP New commenter

Good point! Thank you. Newbie here, as I'm sure you've guessed.

One thing I'm considering is projecting the grid on the EWB and getting them to come up and fill it in on there. Pro being that I'll get an immediate and very visual idea of how they are with their tts, cons being it might be needlessly time consuming. Any thoughts?

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have children on different times tables-from 10's, 2's, 5's, 4's through to 8's in the first week and it will only get worse! I have an excel spreadsheet, I read out the numbers, the children multiply my number by whatever times table they are working on. when we have done all 12, the spreadsheet calculates the correct answers. I show it on the whiteboard, the partner marks the correct column ( they are all colour -coded!) and then hands the book back. Each child then says yes-if they got all 12 right or no if they didn't, I mark it on a display ladder and the whole class is done in no more than 5 mins.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I do the same, more or less, as @CarrieV . I just don't have a display ladder, but mark the score in my own book.

6. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter