1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kit909, Mar 25, 2012.

1. I'm sure this topic has been done to death before, but does anyone have a successful way of marking maths for upper KS2 that provides the children with a target/next steps without being too onerous? Useful (for them) but practical (for me). Thanks!

2. Divide your books into LA MA HA.
    Mark right/wrong.
    Short comment stating what they can now do, praise etc.
    Outline next steps, perhaps with an example.
    Set challenges.
    For every book that is 90% similar or more, put with that book in a pile and pass to a sensible child to copy out the challenges for you so you aren't just writing the same thing 6/7 times.
    Next ability, same process. etc.
    Stickers, stamps. record grades. Job done.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Get them to mark their own right and wrong answers.

Get them to write a comment as how they got on relating to the SC, not just how they feel.

Get them to suggest their own next steps.

Then you have pupil led learning and all that jazz and no marking at all for you!

4. I do get them to mark their own as they like the instant 'result' of how they have done and they draw a little face to say how they found it. I think it is a good idea to develop this further with a next steps comment and I can then set them a little challenge/target from that. Will give it a go tomorrow.

5. .....meant to say, thank you [​IMG]

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I rarely give a 'next steps' comment in my maths marking. I also don't ever write them little targets. Waste of time IMO.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I almost never mark maths books myself at all...hence my classes being amazingly good at peer ans self marking. Wonderful initiative in my opinion!

8. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Milgodnodsheadinagreement

[​IMG]

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

It's a tick or a cross from me. Nothing more.

10. Unless you have Ofsted breathing down your neck,
    and the LA
    and the SIP
    and the Numeracy Advisor
    and the SLT
    and the Numeracy SL
    who all think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
    sigh ..

11. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

In ks2 I: only write comments for the group you worked with that day. Sometimes I write a challenge/try this question for those who seem to have really whizzed through. For those who get it wrong, I do an example and point out where they are going wrong. Then I ask them to correct their mistakes next to the question. But I also do peer and self marking.

12. KnightRider

KnightRider New commenter

A colleague marks her pupils books once a week (year 6) with next step challenges - normally on a Friday so she can see if they've retained the the learning over the weekend. That seems to me to be a sensible balance. Peer marking and teacher checking (as appropriate) all week, then next steps and a challenge to get continuity between one week and the next.

13. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Next step marking in maths is a waste of time. Please don't buy the nonsense about OFSTED expecting it either - they don't.

14. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Sparky1985: I didn't write any of those statements which you've attributed to me in your quotes two posts above above.

15. I couldn't agree more, in fact, that's the reason I posted what is expected in my school. I was astonished to read how simple and un-time-consuming some schools' marking is. I totally agree that my marking is done for adults within school, unfortunately, no amount of rational discussion seems to be able to change this.
    Oh well!

16. zannar

zannar New commenter

I put a lot of 'VF' in the books.I give a lot of verbal feedback and mark it as such.