1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking in Year 1!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Irie, Feb 2, 2011.

1. <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">Hi,
    I teach a Year 1 class. I have the summer born and EAL children, most of whom are still working on EYFS goals, so every lesson is very practical, with cubes and apparatus, drama and actions, speaking and listening, games and activities, weighing and water play etc etc. I feel strongly that this is the way to develop the children's underlying concepts in literacy and maths. So I don't often do worksheets and we never work directly into the book: when we're writing we use whiteboards and during maths we occasionally use a simple scaffolded worksheet to help them record their ideas and practise their number formation. I take photos of the children during the lessons which demonstrate the activities they have taken part in, and I annotate these with the learning I have observed going on.

This means, however, that 'marking' is all verbal in my class. It takes place at the point of the child's learning, although I record it by writing it onto a sticker and putting it in a speech bubble, which is then stuck onto the relevant photograph and put into the relevant child's book.
    However, we have been told that we now need to use 'close the gap' marking, in which we set a question for a child which moves them on to the next level during that lesson. Now, they can't read these questions independently, which means I have to go round 25 children and read the questions to them, then prompt them to respond. I can see this easily becoming the entire lesson, and for Year 1 children who have limited English and cannot produce written responses, I will then have to scribe/ support written responses to my marking.
    I am really interested to know how anyone else deals with this kind of marking in Year 1, particularly with low ability or EAL children. Have you found it to be appropriate/ effective? Can you make it work? If so, how? Does it work for the children? I would absolutely love any advice or ideas that have worked for anyone else!

Many thanks!
    Irie
    </td></tr></table>

2. I teach year 1 too although I do record in books right from the start of the year. This is because while writing on whiteboards has its place, children to not learn to use a good pencil grip if they always use whiteboard pens because they are bigger than pencils and the pressure is different.

I usually give every child some verbal feedback in the lesson and I 'mark' the books by writing down what I say to the child. The verbal feedback is for the child's benefit and the written version is for the sake of keeping a record of what feedback they have had.

I check the work in more detail when I mark it and if there is something that I want the child to respond to I put an animal sticker in the book. The children know to look at their books and if it has one of these stickers they need to ask me what to do. At this age, it is usually something along the lines of 'can you practise writing this number/letter'? if they have made a mistake with letter formation, or 'now check again and see where the full stop should do'. I think double tick and date the comment when the child has responded.

Hope this helps!

3. Sorry - that was formatted into paragraphs but when I submitted it lost the line breaks for some reason.

4. Pippi

Pippi New commenter

I do the same - lots of practical with photographs and annotations, but also, with written work, give verbal feedback and write it in the books. Not every time, but often enough to be 'playing the game'!

5. We use coloured highlighters, pink for things they need to check again and green for things that are correct. I generally mark the work with the child and so they know what their corrections are. I sometimes write what i have said to them or 'verbal feedback' in their books or just leave the coloured highlighting. I dont think you need to have a written comment every time if you have an alternative way of marking.