1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking in Red Pen

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by ArthurDent, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Red is a bit shouty, as a colour. We use it warn and denote danger; so, it would seem that using another colour does not have the same connotations. I've always marked in pencil or in green ink. I suppose, it doesn't matter what the colour is provided it stands out and draws students' attention to what you want: which is to help them improve.

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Try a different brand of green pen then! I can copy my green pens and they come up perfectly on the copier as black. (we don't have a colour copier) You can't however laminate anything written with a frixion pen as it will disappear due to the heat!

3. Hahahahaha!
    [​IMG]

4. If it's a draft policy find out what other Hods feel and try to get it altered if people don't like it. Chances are that one person thinks that this important. What you don't want is the policy being put in place and is then either moaned about or ignored. In my opinion it's nonsense. Kids will respond to good, constructive marking whatever the colour and red is easy to see. We use green for pupil response - an example of trendy but actually useful.

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

My schools policy is to only Mark in red! Which I find bizarre hwing come from a school with a thou shalt nt Mark in red policy, less you be smited!

6. Good grief. No wonder our schools have gone down the pan. What the hell is wrong with marking in red?! There is no hope for this profession, or most of our poor kids.

7. Not suggesting this is the reason schools do it but ?. In multicultural Britain it may be of interest that some cultures find it an utter disrespect to have a note (in the students case, personalised feedback) written in RED ink.

8. saynotoboxticking

saynotoboxticking New commenter

god, is this what things have come to - a note might cause the student 'upset' ? I shudder tothink how awful that would be ! I say man up and throw caution to the wind and mark in whatever colour you happen to have to hand, so long as it stands out on the page. Who will have time to police it anyway... and ultimately does it make any difference to results... NO !

9. What cultures? Can you be more specific?
    I think not marking in red is quite ridiculous. Fortunately it is not an issue at my place. i have always marked in red, because its easier for me to flip through a book at a later date and ensure everything has been marked.

10. Facetious

Facetious New commenter

Our culture. Writing in red is dreadfully rude according to ancient social etiquette. So is hanging your washing out on a Bank Holiday. All you folk marking in green pen will find that in a few years time THAT will be considered negative too and must be avoided at all costs. I will continue to mark in red until they physically remove the red pen from my cold, dead hand.

11. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Quite right - it's the colour of robins and jolly things and I have got a drawer full of them so they can just go and whistle. Also if it's rude, how come I've got to the age of 56 and not realised this - oh yeah cos I'm thick of course silly of me ...

12. Just finished marking a set of books in green pen for an experiment. Gave them back to the kids and one accused me of not marking them - green didn't stand out enough. I'm going back to my red pens.

13. I had to post on this thread!
    Red, red, always red - it's what you write and how often you mark that matters, not the colour. Green or pencil don't show up properly for me anyway. As you can tell from my username (thought up by my other half) there is always an abundance of red pens lurking in my bag or strewn round the house. Can never find one when I need one of course!

14. I think that the do gooders and PC people who tell us to avoid marking in red to avoid upsetting or offending the sensitivies of our poor little darlings are being totally ridiculous! What next? Avoiding black in case it affects 'people of colour' or the bereaved?, purple in case it offends homosexuals or highlighters in case it damages people's eyesight? Why not go the whole hog and design a rainbow coloured pen to go match the rainbow coloured sheep in the PC version of the well-known nursery rhyme?
    Fortunately, I've not worked anywhere with this type of policy, which is just as well as when I was an examiner, I was told the following:
    • Students should only write in black or blue (for photocopying purposes).
    • Team Leaders should mark in green.
    • Those above should mark in purple if a remark has been requested.
    'Leaders' should bear the above in mind next time they draft this kind of policy, so that they don't offend any more examiners or former examiners, like myself.