1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking: good, bad or is it time to scrap it?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jul 3, 2019.

1. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

I think I broadly agree with this. In my experience as a child, marking was rarely about giving direction for improvement unless I had obviously misunderstood a key concept. However the thought that poor or no effort would result in sanctions meant I always made some effort, and the gold star or smiley face was good motivation. So simple, so easy - but possibly more effective than all the triple marking and coloured pens....

agathamorse likes this.
  2. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I tutor students at home and it amazes me the number of students who have never had their books marked. While I don't think detailed marking is a good use of teacher time students do like to know the teacher is interested enough in them to check their work and offer some encouragement.

WB likes this.
  3. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

I often check student work and give feedback and encouragement without resorting to marking a book. I teach computing and usually there is no book to mark unless there is an end of unit test. My approach is not acceptable in some schools which are triple markers.

In my experience, any school which uses the expression,"OFSTED requires ....", is not a place I would work in.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

22 classes, 30 students in each. 22 x 30 = 660. Than marking their corrections doubled that to 1,320.

How do you get 480?

agathamorse likes this.
  5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I think @WB may have been referring to my comment re: KS2 marking. Which equates to 480 pieces of marking per week but nearer 1000 if all work is triple marked.

@WB if triple/deep marking does not move children on and no marking causes retrograde progress, are you suggesting that cursory marking away from the point of learning (ie 'I have seen your work') has a neutral effect on children's progress ie the same effect as triple marking? Or, do you agree that verbal feedback (which is not always recorded) is still the most effective form of formative assessment?

agathamorse likes this.
  6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

How do you know that verbal feedback wasn't offered at the point of learning? How do you know that the teacher didn't adjust their planning for the next lesson in the light of those discussions? Books do not tell you everything that happens in a lesson, as I am sure you know. Which is why many teachers are rather perturbed that Ofsted's revised framework mentions book scrutinies, again.

agathamorse and nervousned like this.
  7. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

I have worked briefly in two schools which supplied teachers with a “verbal feedback given” stamp to prove that feedback was given.
    Any school which feels a need for these stamps is no place I would choose to work in.
    Evidence suggests that verbal feedback which is contextual and timely is by far the most effective feedback.
    I will ask again, does anyone believe that triple marking in multiple colours has any academic advantage?

agathamorse, nervousned and snowyhead like this.
  8. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

I also worked in such a school but only used the stamp once. I was so embarrassed using it that I never did again. Fortunately I wasn't caught.

agathamorse likes this.