1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

marking for edexcel

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emmac1982, Dec 5, 2011.

1. emmac1982

emmac1982 New commenter

What are people's experiences of marking for edexcel?

I am currently in the process of filling in my edexcel online application form. I am a primary school teacher with an undergraduate degree in geography. Am I only suited to marking geography papers or will edexcel offer me other subjects?

Currently the only vacancy it is offering me is for a moderator position for a 14-19 diploma in the subject of 'project/extended project'. I have trawled the website to see what this entails and how to adhere my application towards it, however I have not had a lot of joy? Could anyone enlighten me please?

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

If you want to mark GCSE papers, I think you are expected to have some experience of teaching to GCSE. Generally papers are offered depending on your degree and/or teaching experience, This will be the 5th year I have taught for themand my first contract was for just the a) questions ie a definite yes or no answer in a subject which I have a degree in and have taught. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but one of the team leaders does post on here, so I'll try to get her to see if she can help.

3. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I mark for them and the money is so handy! With regards to subject, my PGCE and teaching subject is different to what I did my degree in but I was only allowed to mark my teaching subject as that is the one they considered I had experience in. This was the same with several other exam boards I tried.

4. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

I'm an NQT, and have applied for this, they are stuggling with my references though. I only put down the papers i had experience of teaching on placements and supply. Fingers crossed.

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Edexecel have the primary SATs contract and I mark every year with them. I find them pretty good.

6. I moderate GCSE Drama (not the practical exam) and have done for a while. I find that the contacts I have at the board are helpful and speedy when you need to talk to someone. My team leaders have been excellent and supportive. If you are offered a contract, things should go well. Yes, sometimes things go wrong - I've had a few problems from time to time, but they sort them out. No board is perfect. Go for it. It's useful experience and often pays for the annual holiday! It's just hard work for a concentrated period of time.

7. emmac1982

emmac1982 New commenter

thank you everyone, you have all been very helpful :)

8. I think it's safe to say you can forget SATs marking now - they've changes the test, schools can opt out of the writing, so Edexcel will need far fewer markers this year, Seniors and Team leaders will get first refusal, then markers.

9. You don't need to have experience of teaching the subject to GCSE to mark the GCSE papers. I'm a primary teacher but mark GCSE Maths. I do have a maths degree though....