1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Marking Exams and Tax Returns

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by rwdgray, Dec 27, 2010.

  1. Hi,
    I'm a full time teacher but I also mark exams for one of the boards. They deduct tax at source but they do not deduct NI contributions. I'm about to fill in a tax return for the first time sincedoing the marking and I assume my earnings with the board are 'self-employed'. I'm a little worried that I should have declared myself 'self-employed' to the HMRC. Should I have done that? Should I have been paying self-employed NI contribtutions as well? [​IMG]
    Anyone out there in a similar situation - full time teacher, occasional exam marker with a tax-return to fill in?

  2. I am a full time teacher and I also mark for the exam board but I don't fill out a tax return. I assumed the exam board sorted everything since I am by far not the only full time teacher who marks for them!
  3. sleepyhead

    sleepyhead New commenter

    I am a full time teacher, exam marker, and self-employed filler in of tax returns. As far as I know, if you're only doing the first two, you're okay and don't even need to do a return (certainly, my colleague has never done one despite marking twice a year every year for years!)
    My marking goes down in one of my "emplyed" sections, not in "self-employed" and in the past 6 years, I've never had a problem. If you're unsure though, give HMRC a call and ask - they're always really helpful when I've had a problem.
  4. Thanks for the contributions.[​IMG]
    I guess the reason I have to do a return while others don't may be because I used to be self-employed for about 5 years before becoming a teacher. I had to do returns then, and they've never stopped asking me for them! Once they get a taste eh...?
    I tried to put my exam earnings down in the 'employment' section in my tax return online but got a little stuck when it came to finding the PAYE code for my board - edexcel. I don't think there is one. I looked thoroughly but can't see one on any of the contracts, remittance advice slips emails etc. Sleepyhead - did you manage to locate a PAYE code from your board?
  5. Morninglover

    Morninglover Star commenter

    I marked GCSE/A Level for about 20 years up to a few years ago - and never once had to do anything re: tax - the exam board (I marked for 3 over the time) always payed after deducting the tax. Maybe this has changed...but I doubt it.
  6. tafkam

    tafkam Occasional commenter

    Surely if they took tax from you then there must be one?
  7. nqt04

    nqt04 New commenter

    Tax law requires every employer who makes deductions from an employee's pay to give details on a P60 (or P60 equivalent). The PAYE tax code used to calculate the tax deduction is one of the required details, so you should find it on the P60 that the exam board would have sent you mid-May.
  8. sleepyhead

    sleepyhead New commenter

    Mine's on my pay slips - but I take mine from my P60 every year.
  9. Watch that the extra income you earn from marking does not push you into higher tax rate. The exam board only take off basic rate tax and you may find that you owe the difference - HMRC can claim back up to 7 years, believe me!
  10. erm


    Especially important if you have children, as if you go into the higher tax bracket, come 2013 your child benefit will be pulled too. This in effect could mean that you'd be better off providing your services to the exam board for free. Or, of course, just not doing it. Daft, isn't it?
  11. I'm in this situation: Come 2013 if I continue to mark papers my overall income will be less than if I just put my feet up and do nothing! Hardly encouaging a work ethic is it? I'm not really sure what to do about it as I'm one of those 'odd' people that actually enjoy the marking!! Perhaps I should give up my TLR which pays very little compared to what school expects me to deliver with the benefit of one free period a fortnight!
  12. sparklyrainbowfish

    sparklyrainbowfish New commenter

    I seem to recall from when I did exam marking before that tax gets deducted at source but no National Insurance is payable. I didn't need to fill out a tax return but I did send a letter to my tax office to clarify it all and it was fine.
    This year I will be doing exam marking and also be filling out a tax return for other self-employment - hope I can still manage to not pay NI on the exam marking!
    sparkly :)
  13. Just be careful, I don't know the ins and outs of tax. I left everything to my employer and in 2006/7 both edexcel and my lea applied the wrong tax codes, so I have just been landed with a £450 bill. Which means I marked for about £500 extra.

    That was my new year present from hmrc.
  14. chemroger

    chemroger New commenter

    If I get this right then I could earn some extra money marking but it takes me into the higher tax bracket. OK so pay a little more tax, not great but fair enough. But I would also not get £2500 child benefit so would actually be paying Dave Cameran andf his fellow minster toff/millionaires £2500 to do the extra work. Well that is just great. We are all in this together so that's ok then.
  15. kerry110

    kerry110 New commenter

    I can see this is a really old thread but does anyone have theEdexcel/ Pearson PAYE reference number? Trying to do a tax return and don't seem to have a P60!
  16. Skeoch

    Skeoch Star commenter

    Your P60 will be available online. Go to the Gateway and log in, then Payroll Self Service.
    sabrinakat likes this.

Share This Page