1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking Exam Papers

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by frogusmaximus, Feb 25, 2020.

1. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Morning

Having taken early retirement, are their any options to mark exam papers, given I find myself with ample time on my hands to do so. I worked at the primary level so SAT or NAPLAN papers would be ideal.

If anyone has a link or experience of doing so, would be interested to hear. Thanks.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Or online tutoring? I have heard on the grapevine that it can be fairly well paid.

3. Leonardo1983

Leonardo1983 New commenter

Yes. Can't comment on your age group but GCSE exam marking is pretty much all done online now - the training, moderation and actual script marking. So can be done from any location. I do it every June/July. Can get a bit tedious but if you're retired you can get plenty done I'm sure. Pays for the summer holiday!

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

5. frogusmaximus

Have a little private work that I do using skype with a child I have worked with previously in my classroom but have also done a little last year with a well known company that caters for the Chinese market.

There was plenty of work available with rates at 15-20 dollars an hour, with 1-4 kids in a tutor group. Unfortunately it didn't quite match the hours in which i wished to work - daytime - since my location is in the same time zone as China. But for anyone based elsewhere, 6-9 in the evenings is when there is huge demand so if it suits please mail me for the company name. They were well organised, paid promptly by Pal Pay and offered good support material: basically you support an interactive presentation and use your experience to expand where needed.

Riobamba likes this.
  6. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

Conversation sent!

7. sazad99

sazad99 New commenter

How much does it pay?

8. frogusmaximus

9. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

10. Silky22

Silky22 New commenter

11. Silky22

Silky22 New commenter

Hi Frogusmaximus.
    Have tries to start a conversation, but...no luck
    Perhaps you could e mail me on
    Mark.Silcox@rgotc.edu.om
    with details of the Chinese tutoring company.
    I am also an on-line marker for Pearson and maybe can help you in that regard.

12. Riobamba

Riobamba New commenter

Hi Frogusmaximus, thank you for the information so far. I am quite new to the forum so I don't seem to be able to message you, but I would really appreciate some more information about online teaching as it is something I would be very interested in. Would you be able to private message me? Thanks for your help.

13. Leonardo1983

Leonardo1983 New commenter

GCSE marking for my subject is about GBP 1k per contract. You must have a UK bank account IIRC.

14. sazad99

sazad99 New commenter

Can I start a conversation with you please?

Leonardo1983 likes this.
  15. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

I've marked for the same board and specification for the last 5 years. I mark around 300 papers which pays about £1500. Covers the summer holiday. I started when we lived in the UK and have continued to do so here in Spain.

HOWEVER, most exam boards require you to be UK resident for tax purposes (and, indeed I do pay UK tax on my exam marking earnings). But this has meant that when I've applied for examiner jobs with other boards I've been rejected on the basis that I am not UK based. In the small print, it does say that marking can be done in the EU... not sure if that will continue to be the case next year though.

16. Duraz

Duraz New commenter

For primary teachers living outside of the UK, Cambridge Primary checkpoint exams seem to be a good option. Unfortunately I don't have firsthand knowledge of them though because they can't be marked from the country that I live in.

DocShew likes this.
  17. DocShew

DocShew New commenter

I've just spent an arduous couple of hours completing an online application to become an Edexcel examiner. I couldn't seem to find out whether the courses I am applying for are for those outside the UK or not. I don't have UK bank account so that could be a problem.

18. DocShew

DocShew New commenter

Might look into this. Thanks.

19. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

I believe Cambridge IGCSE pay GBP5 a script?

20. frogusmaximus

Noted.