1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking exam papers jobs

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dgaidge, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Hello
    I am a PGCE student and I need a summer job so I was thinking about marking exam papers this summer.
    Can anyone answer any of these questions:
    - who do I need to contact?
    - when do they need the papers marked (I finish my PGCE at the end of June)?
    - what experience do I need?
    Many thanks
    G

2. The main exam boards (Edexcel, etc)
    Most exams are sat May-June, and they have about a 2-3 week turnaround. So before you finish you PGCE for about half I would say, if not more. It's not a summer job - most of the scripts have to be finished by the examiners (that's the first people to mark them) by the start of July at the very latest I think, dependant on the date sat (for eg, I just marked some scripts from Jan modules. The exam was sat the last week of Jan, we had Standardisation on 1st Feb, all 300 scripts had to be back to our 'head' examiner by 15th Feb at the very latest, not including marking samples being sent off periodically through this time).
    All the boards I've marked for - a years experience full time teaching the relevant subject at the relevant level (although not nec. the same exam board).
    I think Edexcel do recruit PGCE students, but the recruitment might already have closed this year - although if you apply now you might be able to get some work for next year.