1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking BTEC assignments - time?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by zagato, Mar 21, 2018.

1. zagato

zagato New commenter

Can anyone give me a good idea of how long the entire BTEC Assignment assessment process should take?
    What I am interested in knowing is a rough idea of how much time teaching staff will spend on assessment per assignment per student roughly. Here I am talking BTEC First level, but also interested in BTEC National L3.

So, after you've collected completed assignments in you have got to
    • Mark, assess and annotate the assignment
    • Provide feedback
    • Get your marking, assessment and feedback verified and request resubmissions via the form
    • Hand back out and then collect back in after improvements
    • Re-mark, re-assess and re-annotate
    • Provide more feedback
    Just interested in getting a rough idea on this to include in course planning. Clearly if the number of assignments to be covered and number of students on the course leave you with 1200 assignments to deal with it is going to take a significant amount of time.
    Any ideas?

cys2017 likes this.
  2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

That's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string". It will take as long as you allow it to take. You need to think about the different options you have, for how you will assess and feedback.

Chalk and Cheese. The assessment may not take any longer for a Level 3 student than it does for a Level 1 student. But your feedback for Level 1 students needs to be much more detailed, and delivered in a much more accessible form, if it is to be of any value.

This is what I meant by thinking about the options you have, for how you assess and feedback. I taught BTEC Computing, and wherever possible I avoided written work, and used practical tasks for assessment. If you photograph/video the students doing those tasks, ask the relevant questions, and complete a witness statement, it forms your evidence of the students having met the criteria or not. It's just a lot easier than having to mark 60 pieces of written work at a time.

If the thing you are looking to assess is more a case of simple recall (facts and figures), then perhaps you could also use quizzes. I used these mainly for formative assessment, but perhaps they could be used otherwise if structured properly? The package I used allowed me to create quizzes in various forms, and also tailor exactly what feedback the students got and when. It also emailed the results to me each time a student took a particular quiz, and I was able to download all results into a CSV file, so I had a record of what they had covered and how well they had done. Again it just reduced the amount of written assessment I had to wade through.

You could also use verbal feedback for your Level 1 students, in the form of audio clips, where you record your feedback and the student can replay it as many times as necessary. This helps if any of your students struggle with understanding feedback in the form of written comments.

There will always be some criteria for which written work is unavoidable, but the trick is to keep those to a minimum. In the college I worked at, students submitted their written work via the VLE (in our case it was Moodle), which meant the students work could be submitted, marked and annotated, then returned electronically. Still a fair bit of time needed for marking, but saves having to chase people to get/hand back work.

You can't escape the "mark - feedback - resubmit" cycle. The best you can hope for, is to structure your assessments and assignments, in such a way as to minimise the time taken to administer them.

3. mathsman

mathsman Occasional commenter

You really must read this document carefully and don't allow yourself to dabble in malpractice:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/.../BTEC-Centre-Guide-to-Internal-Assessment.pdf

4. elder_cat

You're probably well advised to read the document. Things have obviously changed since I retired, if students are no longer allowed to re-submit following feedback.:(

5. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

What a load of old tosh! This is why my school dropped edexel as quickly as it could. The answer is there is not time to do any of this effectively and record evidence of having done so. I’ve seen people close to breakdown over the process.
    To the OP find another job that doesn’t include this BTEC twaddle.

BioEm likes this.
  6. citct

citct New commenter

> Here I am talking BTEC First level, but also interested in BTEC National L3.

Comments below for level 3

> So, after you've collected completed assignments in you have got to
    • Mark, assess and annotate the assignment
    • Provide feedback
    Personal experience found to be about
    • Get your marking, assessment and feedback verified and request resubmissions via the form
    • Hand back out and then collect back in after improvements
    • Re-mark, re-assess and re-annotate
    • Provide more feedback
    Just interested in getting a rough idea on this to include in course planning. Clearly if the number of assignments to be covered and number of students on the course leave you with 1200 assignments to deal with it is going to take a significant amount of time.
    Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

7. elder_cat

I no longer teach BTEC Computing, so I had to go and read the Edexcel guidelines. Whilst student resubmissions are not banned outright, there are rules that determine:

(a) Whether they are allowed to resubmit work.
    (b) What grade they can achieve as a result of a resubmission.

Resubmission of improved evidence

An assignment provides the final assessment for the relevant learning aims and is normally a final

assessment decision, except where the Lead IV approves one opportunity to resubmit improved
    evidence based on the completed assignment brief.

The Lead IV has the responsibility to make sure that resubmission is operated fairly. This means:

• checking that a learner can be reasonably expected to perform better through a second
    submission, for example that the learner has not performed as expected
    • making sure that giving a further opportunity can be done in such a way that it does not
    give an unfair advantage over other learners, for example through the opportunity to take
    account of feedback given to other learners

• checking that the assessor considers that the learner will be able to provide improved
    evidence without further guidance and that the original evidence submitted remains valid.

Once an assessment decision has been given to the learner, the resubmission opportunity must
    have a deadline within 15 working days in the same academic year.

A resubmission opportunity must not be provided where learners:

• have not completed the assignment by the deadline without the centre’s agreement
    • have submitted work that is not authentic.

Retake of internal assessment

A learner who has not achieved the level of performance required to pass the relevant learning
    aims after resubmission of an assignment may be offered a single retake opportunity using a new

assignment. The retake may only be achieved at a pass.

The Lead Internal Verifier must only authorise a retake of an assignment in exceptional
    circumstances where they believe it is necessary, appropriate and fair to do so. For further
    information on offering a retake opportunity you should refer to the BTEC Centre Guide to
    Assessment. We provide information on writing assignments for retakes on our website
    (www.btec.co.uk/keydocuments).

Given all of the above, there should not be many cases where you will need to do anything more than mark the initial submission and provide feedback.

Anything beyond that will be at the discretion of the Lead Verifier, and would need to be fully justifiable.

The students should be under no illusions when they start the course that they are expected to meet the deadlines and give it their best shot first time around.

mathsman likes this.
  8. citct

citct New commenter

Looks like there were formatting issues in the previous reply.

Personal experience found to be about 10-15 minutes for the initial review of the assignment submitted, comments made to students.

The verification process with other colleagues can be more time consuming, e.g. if there is initial unfamiliarity with the assignment briefs, assessment criteria of the units, etc. Maybe add 15 minutes each assignment, each student

9. richardwillis998

richardwillis998 New commenter

I've done Computing and Business at L3.

I found with marking assignments that weaker students generally only submit a pass level assignment with very little effort towards furthering towards a merit. These are generally easy to mark as the sources are often similar (textbook, presentations etc). The merit grades and especially the distinction attempts are usually the ones which take longer. Depends on the quality of your group.

mathsman likes this.