1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking books

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by georgebn29, Oct 8, 2015.

1. georgebn29

georgebn29 New commenter

It is my schools policy that we mark books every week! We are marked on the frequency of marking and if this does not hit a grade of 1 which means consistently then we automatically get a grade of requires improvement. All other areas can be outstanding. My books have been marked for 80 percent of the time so far this term but no i get an RI and told that the books where near outstanding. Is weekly marking excessive. I have around 110 books to mark each week. Many schools operate a fortnightly marking policy. I tried so hard in marking these books. In other establishments my marking has been a strength and i have always been rated as a good marker.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Two things:

1. Are you marked only on 'frequency' and not on accuracy/detail/legibility etc? If so, then 'skim mark'....
    2. Set less work that requires marking....

wanderingalong likes this.
  3. georgebn29

georgebn29 New commenter

Thanks also marked on presentation, ensuring that pupils record a level for each piece of work, students responding to feedback and that homework is set. Basically a tick box exercise.

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Possibly evidence of gross misconduct. Only writing more than the kids is an acceptable level of marking.

Definitely evidence of gross misconduct. If it ain't recorded in kid's books then you didn't teach it.

Us teachers need to provide our SLTs with a reason for living.

5. Morninglover

I suspect most of us know how to set work that takes longer to mark than to actually complete...and the opposite. ;)

snowyhead likes this.
  6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Jesus.
    Ridiculous
    Get a new job

7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Another school coming up with a policy to justify SLTs existence.

Idiots!.

8. Morninglover

So you spend a significant part of each day getting the pupils to complete these things in class rather than teaching them (or allowing them to learn something new)..?

Yeah, sounds pretty much the modern way! o_O

I agree with the other posters...get out of this madhouse!

wanderingalong, -myrtille- and cissy3 like this.
  9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

It sounds like what you are saying is that if little Johnny decides not to write neatly, you get an RI?

Utter abuse of the Ofsted grading system. Evidently they want to demoralise everyone to the point of leaving or keep everyone other than TLRs/SLT on MPS1.

Either way, regular perousal of the TES jobs board might be an idea!

10. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

Levels for each piece of work is not, was never, and never should have been the point of levels. Your SLT are idiots. Responding to feedback is all well and good but it sounds like the management of your school have their heads so far up their bottoms they've stopped seeing daylight.

Get out. Find somewhere normal. There are non-insane schools out there still.

11. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

This is ridiculous. Mark every week? The kids won't even bother to read it!!

My school have an every three weeks policy. It works.

My last insisted you marked every two weeks - teaching a subject of one lesson a week, with 22 classes - yes, it was impossible. I got a new post. So should you.

cissy3 and varcolac like this.
  12. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I have this amount of books to mark daily, never mind weekly. Extensive marking for most lessons too and no 'tick flick' type marking. Ks2: maths, comprehension, English and topic.

gemgeo and TEA2111 like this.
  13. troycat2010

troycat2010 New commenter

14. NettyMc

NettyMc New commenter

An interesting thread. As the previous two posters said, in Primary we mark every piece of work every day - with 30 children in my class and approx 4 pieces of work per day - give or take - that's about 600 pieces of work to mark and give feedback on, not to mention responding to the children's response! Books are scrutinised by Head every week and we're graded on an endless list - it's all too much and gets people down.

15. Smurf191

Smurf191 New commenter

exactly the same as NettyMc, this is a daily task and we get book scruitinies every week and are graded on it, all linked to performance management.

16. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

So who are we marking for? This is just another example of SLT throwing up barriers to good teaching. We try in the classroom to do our best by the kids and overpaid vindictive, thick careerist managers spend all their time trying to stop us. It would be hilarious if most of us didn't have kids ourselves.

cissy3 and lanokia like this.
  17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Would I be correct in thinking that the HT mentioned above are non-teaching heads?

After all, they have created an excellent cop out from teaching as they have to spend all their time checking up on their staff!!

How do these folks sleep nights?

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What compassman said... whoever is checking your books weekly and is handing out pathetic gradings needs to be fired and the salary invested in the actual ******* education of the pupils.

******* pathetic system.

lizziescat, cat2611 and cissy3 like this.
  19. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I would really question why they are asking for this. little point to it unless they want to loose staff. An ex-collegue was told by OFSTED that she was doing too much marking and she should spend less time doing it!

cissy3 likes this.
  20. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

[QUOTE="varcolac, post: 11460371, member: 2971094"]Levels for each piece of work is not, was never, and never should have been the point of levels. .[/QUOTE]

Why these so called managers don't realise this is beyond me. They seem to go out of their way to make something relatively simple, into something resembling 'a circle of hell'.

Same as the 'four sides of A4 lesson plans that are 'tomes' of unnecessary twaddle. Even Ofsted were saying that this was unnecessarily complicated (or they were)

My sympathies OP (No wonder teachers are leaving in droves.)

Edit: written before I saw Wanet's post above.