1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking books- giving targets

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mazman, Feb 24, 2011.

1. mazman

mazman New commenter

A recent OFSTED report described an MFL department as giving 'excellent targets when marking the pupils' books'. I've always wondered whether the targets I give are constructive enough as well as being acessible for the pupils and stretching them to achieve their best. I get tired of always writing 'don't forget accents' or 'set your work out properly'. Can anyone give me some examples of targets they give when marking books?
    Your input would be greatly appreciated!

2. mazman

mazman New commenter

A recent OFSTED report described an MFL department as giving 'excellent targets when marking the pupils' books'. I've always wondered whether the targets I give are constructive enough as well as being acessible for the pupils and stretching them to achieve their best. I get tired of always writing 'don't forget accents' or 'set your work out properly'. Can anyone give me some examples of targets they give when marking books?
    Your input would be greatly appreciated!

3. matador

matador New commenter

I give myself a target of marking a set of books in under 5 minutes [​IMG] - ha just kidding I wish

well you could try linking things into levels / GCSE grades - i.e. well done on including a / b and c but to reach the next level aim to include ...... more past tense / more future tense / more opinions / give reasons why you like things etc .... as well as all the obvious practical stuff like check spellings, accents, verb endings / past participles etc