1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking big writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lattedrinker, Jan 10, 2016.

1. lattedrinker

lattedrinker New commenter

when marking these pieces of writing I get so depressed at how rubbish some of my class are at writing extended pieces. I teach year 4 ( but I'm new to Y4) so I feel that I am not teaching them correctly. Also I struggle to find comments for the 2 stars and a wish. I can think of lots of wishes but as for the stars...
    Any advice?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My 'stars' always relate to the 3-4 success criteria I give the children at the start of the piece,
    Specific criteria I will be looking for, awarding marks for and thus leading naturally to the star- well done you used . . . . . . etc.

3. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

Also, why not look back at their writing from the start of the academic year. I'm sure every child has made some progress and so will have something worthy or praise. I'm with Lara though; my stars relate to the success criteria set/agreed with the class.

4. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

Yup I'm exactly the same. Stars and wish almost always relate to the success criteria. If they've not achieved all, or none, of the success criteria, I'll look at things like basic punctuation or other Year 4 objectives to praise / give a target.