1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking at KS4 - Method?

Discussion in 'English' started by thequillguy, Jan 4, 2012.

1. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Hello all

As I mark another class set of essays for KS4, I wonder what balance people have found between annotating, grading and recording? For example, I:

a) Write annotations on the essay itself, usually one or two a page.
    b) Write a question for the student to answer in response to the essay (usually spotting something that is effective, and asking them to explain why.)
    c) Write a target for the student that they have to record on a separate sheet.
    d) Record the grade in markbook.

At the moment I'm happy enough with my marking, and take between 5-10 minutes per essay. However, I wonder if anyone records a central bank of comments/targets for each student? While this might have some use, what would it actually be used for? Would the student see this? What is the point of a target/comment if the pupil themselves can't see it?

Would be interested to hear if anyone has developed a method of marking and recording that allows the easy (key!) collation of useful comments/targets.

For those interested, perhaps literature essays would be a good focus point.

2. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Hello all

As I mark another class set of essays for KS4, I wonder what balance people have found between annotating, grading and recording? For example, I:

a) Write annotations on the essay itself, usually one or two a page.
    b) Write a question for the student to answer in response to the essay (usually spotting something that is effective, and asking them to explain why.)
    c) Write a target for the student that they have to record on a separate sheet.
    d) Record the grade in markbook.

At the moment I'm happy enough with my marking, and take between 5-10 minutes per essay. However, I wonder if anyone records a central bank of comments/targets for each student? While this might have some use, what would it actually be used for? Would the student see this? What is the point of a target/comment if the pupil themselves can't see it?

Would be interested to hear if anyone has developed a method of marking and recording that allows the easy (key!) collation of useful comments/targets.

For those interested, perhaps literature essays would be a good focus point.

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Now that we should no longer be marking drafts, your way of marking seems to be effective. I take a similar amount of time:
    1) Annotate as I'm going, linking to grade criteria.
    2) Circle glaring spelling, grammar, style or punctuation errors. Although pupils cannot redraft, I do make them look at errors and correct them in their exercise books (especially for reading-based essays where they get sloppy because they know they are not marked on spelling)
    3) Write a personalised comment at the bottom, along the lines of two stars and a wish.
    4) Give a mark and grade, record the grade on the department spreadsheet.
    However you do it, marking is so time consuming and I've never found a way to be quicker at it. I've just finished marking 31 Extended Reading essays and it was a killer. At 5 - 10 minutes per essay it just takes a lifetime to mark them all!

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

We are considering moving to a system of stickers - each area of the course has its own which is a cut down and simplified version of the relevant mark scheme. We highlight successes in one colour and targets in another. Originally, this came from a colleague's arthritis - she can't write much any more, but it does really cut down on the amount of time writing things over and over again.
    Used some with year 10 over the holiday, and when they did an essay today, the first thing they had to do was put the sticker at the top and mark on their previous target so that they could aim to deal with it this time. When I have marked all 35 of them, I might have an idea oif it worked!!

5. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

We annotate in the margain. Then have a copy of the criteria on grids. we highlight everything done in green (and then choose two things done particularly well to identify as two ticks) and then what is missing we highlight in pink (only one or two things which then function as targets). We also have the students write their target from the last assessment at the top of their sheet and stamp it if they have met the target within that piece of work.

6. remembering of course that a 'grade' can only be 'shows evidence of grade . . . ' as the boundaries will change and there is no longer a 'set' grade per Band level. Anyone else find this irritating?