1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking and Feedback

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JasonArganaut, Jul 29, 2020.

1. JasonArganaut

JasonArganaut New commenter

Has anyone been informed about how they will practise marking and feedback from September? Our school will be seating children in rows rather than groups, and apparently teachers will have shields around their desks. This doesn't bode well for the usual style of grouping, circulating, etc. We have also been told to adhere to live marking only, to reduce transmission through touching books.
    I cannot for the life of me see how this will work in a primary situation, especially in the younger year groups.
    Anyone any clearer about their school's plans?

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Too early to say. You should relax and let the summer reveal how it it's going to be....

JasonArganaut likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

As all schools are making their own risk assessments and deciding for themselves how they can make things work in their own situations, I shouldn't worry yourself about other schools if I were you.

New guidance is expected on or around 11th August, so little point in worrying until then anyway.

sunshineneeded and JasonArganaut like this.
  4. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

People work in different ways. I actually quite like working steadily through the summer to get things ready for September.

Having said which - I don’t really see how this classroom layout/marking policy is going to work either. I have decided to stop comparing what is possible now to what I am used to though. I’m not trying to find ways to replicate how I was doing things before either. I am not specifically primary so expect multiple classes to use my room. I’ve set the furniture up in rows and am allocating each group a surface by the door where they collect resources as they enter/drop them off as they leave. We are independent and had all year groups back before the summer so I’ve had a trial run at teaching like this. The main issue I found was not going close to an individual to help them.

5. JasonArganaut

JasonArganaut New commenter

I too like to be as prepared as I can be, I'm sure they'll be plenty of information given on the inset days but for me, it makes life easier to plan ahead

6. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Is that govt guidance coming out on the 11th Aug? Coincidentally I think that is when quite a few Scottish schools go back.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

I believe so...seen it discussed on FB a lot. (OK so it's FB, don't shoot me if it isn't correct!)

8. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

I'm more surprised at the thought of shields around teachers' desks... teachers haven't sat at a desk while pupils are in the room for at least 15 years, surely?

9. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I know what you mean. I only ever do live marking in the lesson, never take books home etc This is going to be difficult if one can’t approach children. Whilst we were teaching bubbles the children all did there own marking. Perhaps that’s the answer? Difficult to see what they’ve done though if books are to be quarantined.

10. candelabra

candelabra New commenter

I cannot imagine how a primary teacher can stay at a desk behind a shield. Our school has no plans as far as I know to protect teachers in this way. We have also been told that there will be no marking books. I don't understand why a teacher could not put on a pair of disposable gloves or hand sanitizer and mark books. From the science as I understand it, this is far lower risk than being in a room with 30 other people. And far lower risk than assessing written work and giving verbal feedback in a crowded classroom. I intend to say so even though I'm just the NQT. After all, many parents and children will want the reassurance that they are catching up on missed time in the classroom, so I feel that marking is needed more than ever.

sooooexcited likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

An excellent school with a great attitude to teaching and learning. You are lucky to be there, embrace the opportunity this gives and skip the marking.
    I think it is more about the added and unnecessary risk. After all day at risk,. why add another (albeit smaller) risk?
    Good luck with that!
    The missed time in the classroom has a more significant impact on how to get along with peers than anything in books.
    Written marking is generally show to be largely pointless, more marking doesn't equate to more progress or a greater degree of catching up. Less book work and therefore less marking would be a better way to go.
    And, if your school has said there is to be no marking books, you'd be best off following their policy. This is true for all policies, but especially so for ones relating to H&S. You could be in pretty serious trouble for ignoring H&S advice.

Have a look here for lots more opinion on the matter.
    https://community.tes.com/threads/marking-books-and-corona.805610/

lardylady, vannie and sunshineneeded like this.
  12. candelabra

candelabra New commenter

Thanks for the feedback - this is why I thought it would be great to air my ideas here first! I don't disagree with any of the points you make. I will read more about what others are saying on the matter. I want to clarify that I'm certainly not a fan of written marking for the sake of it, but I feel that written marking might become more important because of the difficulty of giving face-to-face feedback both to children and to parents. I wouldn't dream of going against the school's policies, but if there is more opportunity for feedback from staff before the start of term or during the term, I will be contributing my opinion.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

:D:D:D:D:D
    Sorry this made me laugh as you sound just like me.

I should warn you that your teaching career will be a series of frustrations when no one listens to you, or they say they have listened but disagree.
    And in between those frustrations are the 'little chats' where you get told that expressing your opinion quite so bluntly and forcefully was not required. (Sometimes they even tell you that expressing your opinion was not necessary. Eh? What? That's like saying breathing isn't necessary!!!)

Hopefully we can still talk to children... and we may just need to do less written work in lessons, which is no bad thing.
    Teachers of KS2 talked last term about how much easier their life was with no parents on site! ;)

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

As we neared the end of term, I began more and more to record my feedback and send out audio files. Students preferred it and it was actually enjoyable to do !