1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marking accountability - how do you check?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by dianainlondon, May 2, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    We've had issues with staff members not keeping to deadlines for coursework submission and have found ourselves doing loads of last minute marking and moderation. How do you keep track of where your staff are in regards to keeping on top of marking? I realise there's an issue of trust and proffesionalism involved (one would hope!), but we are in need of strategies!

Thanks in advance.

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

If there have been issues then it should be clear to your staff that you will be keeping a closer look on things. Are marks kept centrally? This would be my first line of action. We have an excel spreadsheet where marks are input, so it gives me a clear idea of how pupils are performing but also an immediate overview of what has been marked/not marked (or in fact, not input, but at least it gives me a small initial indication of where we stand).
    There is also an issue of safety of exam material. I have a folder which I keep in a lockable filing cabinet with a section for each class. Like you, I wasn't particularly vigilant with what paperwork was added or not, so we had a bit of last minute chasing (luckily my colleague is very organised and had it all in one place, but still, I'd have liked it to be locked away and next year I will be more on the ball with this).
    I'd just be honest with your team and say that generally, you don't want to be put in this situation again so therefore, you will insist on deadlines being kept to. If you publish them in advance, send reminders and then chase it up as soon as it's not in then hopefully it should sort itself out. I'm sure people realise it's in their own interest not to be in this situation again (certainly, a few years back as a junior teacher, when I wasn't organised with my coursework and my HOD pulled me up on it, I didn't resent it, as I knew it was her role to make sure everything was up to date).
    As for moderation, it is really down to you to make sure it takes place, so again, organise deadlines, ask for cover/protection of frees etc for people to do it. If you look back over the last couple of years, draw up the key dates and then set yourself / your staff reminders of deadlines.

Rache1G likes this.
  3. Noemie, I was following this thread with interest. What do you do with someone who refuses to meet deadlines. I'd think the first response should be to discuss it in a supportive manner, ask if there are any problems. I'm wondering what you'd advise if their response is, "I don't see the point in doing X" (and rather than telling you this in advance, they just don't do it).

4. laloca

laloca New commenter

You need to explain what the consequences are to you/to other colleagues/to their students or whoever of them not keeping to deadlines. As you said yourself, in setting the deadline I would ask if there's anything they need to help them meet it and/or ask them directly if there's anything that's likely to stop them meeting it. Finally I would confirm everything in writing, probably by sending an email and, depending on the situation, copying in your own line manager either as a CC or BCC.

5. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

Set a clear timetable and review that actions ahve been met, course work needs IVing at certain time so break it down into different sections if possible. Centrally kept records are also a good idea. Clear expectations and Clear deadlines are essential. Frequently email or talk to memebers of the department including deadlines for coursework, student reports, assessment data. Good leaders outline expectations and support staff to achieve them.