1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mark making observation

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by jemlouisehunt, Jun 11, 2015.

1. jemlouisehunt

jemlouisehunt New commenter

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any amazing mark making activities for Nursery children for an observation. I need to work with a group on the carpet which then leads to mark making in some way or another.

I would be very grateful if anyone could share any ideas with me. Thanks in advance.

2. Nikkibell811

Nikkibell811 New commenter

My Nursery children used to love 'big writing' (just our name for it). Standing up we did : windmill arms, circles in the air, big zig zags left to right, dots with our finger pointing, tall lines (reach up high and draw a pretend line down) , short lines, tail lines etc

Very active - using big muscles (gross motor)

This then led onto whiteboard writing (ie making similar marks but with the pen)

Sometimes I told them what to draw - eg draw a circle, now draw another circle inside, now do tiny lines off the bottom etc. you can just make it up. But it gives an idea of how controlled the children's mark making is.

We did this activity on paper every half term to keep for assessment purposes

It's handwriting (so therefore physical dev rather than writing for meaning) so might not be the kind of mark making you want - but it was always good.