1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mark making area in the Nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LittleMissNQT, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Should we have a mark making area in the Nursery? What things should be included?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Ive always assumed that you have a space where mark-making materials etc are always to be found, plus plenty of other opportunities - changing with the interests of the children and ideas of the staff - around the place all the time.

Why do you ask? I don't really understand your question.

3. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

hi yes there shd be mark making area and many other opportunites for ch to develop emergent writing in all areas
    some premanent resources in mark making shd be
    Variety of papers /Felt pens/pencils/ crayons/Blackboard/Whiteboard/sticky notes/;abels/ in other areas. put paper clip boards pens and model writing shopping lists/ inviations/ labels etc
    label all resources for ch to know writing is for a purpose.

4. Thank you, we have lots of writing opportunities within each area eg construction, role play etc. However, I am trying to develop an area especially for mark making but looking at my current nursery children, they are very poor in regards to fine motor control so just wanted some advice in what to do. xx

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

remember painting and drawing is mark making too. Play dough, Lego, pouring a glass of water, threading beads etc etc etc are all good fine motor skills

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

That's the trouble with the phrase 'mark-making.' It means making marks, and this can be done with hands, feet, pencils, brushes, whatever - and wherever.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Don't you just love it when you find marks on the walls and the curtains and the carpets and the furniture and the etc etc? My lot were always very enthusiastic about decorating their bodies with felt pens.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Don't forget the Felt Tip Nail Bar - a real favourite with parents...

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I recall a child doing some lovely mark making ... leaving colourful hand marks on the seat of my black trousers [​IMG]

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

And the tattoo parlour!