1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marjons PGCE Primary 2012-13

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by skyisthelimit, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hello. I've been offered a place on the PGCE Primary at UCP Marjons (Plymouth) - really excited. I had hoped though that I might manage to get a GTP place, but pretty sure the school I've been volunteering at do not wish to apply with me as I've not been offered an interview and the deadline is end of March.
    Just wondering if there are any folks out there who have also been accepted on the PGCE Primary? I'm sure it will be fine, but it's always a little daunting beginning a new venture!! I did make a friend on the interview day, but sadly she was not offered a place.

2. Hello. I've been offered a place on the PGCE Primary at UCP Marjons (Plymouth) - really excited. I had hoped though that I might manage to get a GTP place, but pretty sure the school I've been volunteering at do not wish to apply with me as I've not been offered an interview and the deadline is end of March.
    Just wondering if there are any folks out there who have also been accepted on the PGCE Primary? I'm sure it will be fine, but it's always a little daunting beginning a new venture!! I did make a friend on the interview day, but sadly she was not offered a place.

3. hi, well done for getting a place, i got a conditional offer on monday, i also had a friend that had an interview but didnt get in and i know what you mean about it being daunting!

4. Hi, congratulations, have been offered a
    place too, very excited as didn't get into my first choice so thought I would
    have to wait a year. Definitely part excited, part terrified!

5. Hi there,

I have also been offered a place on the PGCE Primary at Marjon and am very excited but also incredibly nervous.
    Has anyone else heard from Marjon themselves? I rang the admissions department about a month ago to enquire as I have had nothing to confirm my place from Marjon and also to enquire about tuition fees as I want to apply for student finance very soon. I have made a start but it is prepopulating the fees as £7800 and the website and the lady I spoke to said they were £8700!! Anyone else had this trouble?
    Finally what is everyone doing about accommodation - I live in West Cornwall so will need to live in Plymouth.
    Congratulations on everyone for securing a place

6. Hi

I've been offered a place too! :) I had a letter in the post a week or so ago, it had my audits in and feedback from your literacy test. I can't think what else!

In the letter it also said that they will send accomodation stuff in June. i have been looking at Peninsula student housing (basically just off campus) as I live in Dorset I wanted to get an idea on whats available!

x

7. Hi all,

Just found this group on Facebook, so thought i would share!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/256050131147111/

x

8. hey i recieved a letter from ucas saying i had accepted the offer but i havent heard anything from marjon at all :/ anyone else had a letter? ive emailed them x

9. Hi Becky,

I had my interview in January, and only received my official confirmation from marjon a few weeks back. The gttr letter I received a few days (i think) after accepting my offer in Jan!

It will eventually get to you, I didn't really believe I had been accepted until I had the letter from Marjon.

Hopefully your letter will arrive soon,

Sam x

10. hi thanks for replying that makes me feel a bit better as i didnt have my interview until march! yeah i know what you mean i can't quite believe it yet, the facebook group u uploaded i requested to join a couple of weeks ago and not been accepted yet so son't know if they are looking at it. i don't know if you will know but when they said we have to do two weeks in a school before we start do we have to do anything whilst we are there because im not in a placement atm so i need to ask schools soon else i won't be able to get a placement- i had that problem in my degree. thanks becky x

11. Hi

I haven been added to the group either :s! Sorry,but havent got a clue about what we have to do on the two week placement! It might be a good idea to contact schools now and say that you nees to do a pre course placement and then fill them in on details. They can get a bit chocka block sometimes, I'm fortunate that I'm a TA so at least i can do my placementy bit there (hopefully :) )

sam x

12. Hi, I have just received the letter from Marjons with the audits but still no news about the pre course tasks. Any idea when we might hear about them? Currently volunteering at a primary school in Plymouth and really want to get started on them Liz x

13. Hey, I'm part of this year's cohort and I don't think we were the pre-course tasks before May. There was a lot to do: 14 days worth of reflective journals, an early years task (1000 words), a planning and assessment task (1000 words), an ECM observation and task (1000 words) to name a few! Oh and heads up...don't plan anything for first weekend after you start the course! We were given an essay on the Friday to be handed in on the Monday!

14. Hi, thanks for the heads up, will be keeping that weekend free! [​IMG] Hope the tasks arrive soon so can make a start as sounds like there is a fair amount to do!

15. Hi,

I have an interview for PGCE primary at Marjon on the 30th May 2012. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what to expect especially with regard to the individual interview.

Any help would be really appreciated !

Thanks Lauren x

16. Hi Lauren, congratulations on getting an
    interview :) At the individual interview they asked pretty standard questions
    like what skills you would bring to teaching and asked you to describe the
    national curriculum. I had just read every child matters and assessment for
    learning so talked about how they related to teaching in the classroom which
    seemed to go down well. They were really friendly and made you feel comfortable
    like it was a chat rather than an interview. Just kept relating my answers to
    situations I had been in, which a friend who is a primary school teacher in
    Dorset recommended. Good luck for the interview Liz x

17. Hi everyone! Congratulations on being offered a place on the PGCE - I'll also be joining you in September :)
    I received a letter from Marjon with a link to the pre-course tasks... In case you haven't yet, here it is:
    http://www.ucpmarjon.ac.uk/courses/applying/informationfornewstudents/pre-coursetasks/pgceprimary/
    Also, with the facebook group, I'm not sure if they realise you have to accept people to join, so now we know, I've set up another group which I'll try to keep up to date with accepting people! Would be great to get to know some people a bit before we start :)
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/360668730648919/#!/groups/360668730648919/
    Verity x

18. Hi all,
    First off congratsulations on securing a place on the course!!
    I have an interview at Marjons later this month and was hoping you could confirm the layout of the audits/tests!? I know there is an English and Maths, but is there a ICT and/or Science?
    Also if you could shed some light on the type of question and any interview tips?

Thanks in advance :)

19. Hi Lauren, I am also attending the interview on the 30th May, don't have a clue what to expect. Had any luck finding out? Thanks, Megan x

20. Hi, well done on getting an interview. There was a science test too, it didn't count towards their decision but forms part of the audit that you get back if you are offered a place. It wasn't too bad, would reccommend having a quick look at a gcse revision guide or bitesize as I couldn't remember some of the correct words! Look at food chains, properties of solids, sources of light.
    There was also an essay question that you had to write an argument for and against faith schools, not sure if it will be the same topic! English and Maths were also ok, lots of checking for mistakes in a piece of work and knowing the different terms for sentances, grammar etc.
    The individual interview was great, felt like an informal chat. They asked pretty standard questions about my background, subject I studied at uni, ideas on national curriculum and issues in the classroom. I had read every child matters and assessment for learning, so ended up talking about that a fair bit.
    Everyone was really nice and the day wasn't half as stressful as I thought it was going to be!
    Good luck! x