1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marijuana and educational underachievement

Discussion in 'Education news' started by dunnocks, Sep 11, 2018.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Isn't there research that some people have an addictive personality?

Whatever the addiction: gambling, drinking, drugs, computer games - for such people giving up (even if they want to) is almost impossible.

All addictions are detrimental to health and lifestyle, and often have a hugely negative effect on those around you.

And, sadly, for these people giving up one addiction often results in becoming addicted to something else.

camillagallop and Alice K like this.
  2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

'Identical twin COUSINS' think about it ;)

camillagallop likes this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I don't think you have understood my post.

They are my cousins

They are identical twins

what do you think I mean?

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Now I understand - you have cousins who are identical twins. Not identical twins who are cousins because that would really be a problem :)

5. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

do you think my cousins are imaginary?

7. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

You cannot decide whether a substance is dangerous based on one set of twins.

camillagallop and drvs like this.
  8. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Inevitably, most comments on this issue will end up being anecdotal and coloured by commentators own points of view.

Up until relatively recently (about 3-4 years ago), I had not seen Marijuana as a major issue for educational difficulties. That was until I taught a student in Yr 11 who was a heavy cannabis smoker, having taught him previously in Yr 8. The difference in his cognitive abilities was huge - he had gone from being an average student in terms of ability to being in bottom set, his processing speed was significantly worse and his concentration span was much lower.

I am aware that this is just another anecdote about a single student, but it does show the damage marijuana can cause to some individuals (though not necessarily everyone)

Alice K, forthejoyofit and dunnocks like this.
  9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I'm deciding based on decades of teaching and thousands of students, users and nonusers,

( I should probably say some students you can tell use cannabis, and some who students who don't appear to. Most of the students who have appeared, from their general change in attitude/drop in grades/demeanor, to be using cannabis, have eventually admitted it, sometimes not during their school days, but when I encounter them again later. Very occasionally I have been surprised when a student is found to be using, or who admits to me later that they were using, but more than 19 times out of 20, when you hear that evidence has been found, or someone has admitted it, we already knew, because it showed in their attitudes and grades)

eljefeb90 and Alice K like this.
  10. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Because they are identical twin brothers but also cousins....

11. ridleyrumpus

Which the OP or post 13?

12. ridleyrumpus

punctuation and grammar is a wonderful thing. ;)

13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

again, they are brothers to each other, and cousins to me. How could they be cousins and brothers legally

14. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The second.

15. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

They are my identical twin cousins, nothing wrong with that punctuation r grammar

16. camillagallop

camillagallop New commenter

You do realise @Pomza was being sarcastic, right?

17. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Oh look, a new member.

18. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I am with @dunnocks on this. I had always been relatively liberal on smoking dope, even though I had never partaken. I made a flippant comment regarding cannabis smoking in front of a friend of mine and she reacted quite aggressively. I had not realised that her brother , whom I knew to be schizophrenic, had had the condition triggered by cannabis use in his mid to late teens.
    With the increasing use of stronger strains by ever younger students, you could see the effect it was having on their demeanour and cognition.

19. camillagallop

Hi!

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  20. camillagallop

In the original post, you wrote:

In this statement, the absence of a possessive pronoun, such as ‘my’, implies that the twins mentioned are themselves cousins. The adjectives ‘identical’ and ‘twin’ precede the noun ‘cousins’, further underlining this implication.

It’s not necessarily an incorrect statement, just a confusing one.