1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marches

Discussion in 'Music' started by GeneralDoyle, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hello,

I've to teach a scheme of work on 'Marches to Year 8s'; unfortunately, I've been left with practically no resources with the exception of an outline of the scheme and a score of the Prince of Denmark march for the kids to perform. I've searched the internet but have been unable to find much in the line of ideas for lessons or resources I could use. Any direction/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Hello,

I've to teach a scheme of work on 'Marches to Year 8s'; unfortunately, I've been left with practically no resources with the exception of an outline of the scheme and a score of the Prince of Denmark march for the kids to perform. I've searched the internet but have been unable to find much in the line of ideas for lessons or resources I could use. Any direction/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Surely John Philip Sousa is the Man!! Google same for a world of resources!
    Good luck!

4. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

And just remembered Sousa at the Wolf Trap video/dvd - http://www.amazon.com/New-Sousa-Band-Stage-Wolf/dp/630169970X
    Happy hunting!

5. midnightoil

midnightoil New commenter

March to the Scaffold - Berlioz, March of the Siamese Children (King & I) Rogers. There's one in Star Wars (I love this version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWkUFxItWmU)
    Also many years ago there something in some file or other about a Pentatonic March which could be played on black notes with an ostinato. I used to get pupils to compose their own marches using 4 phrases of 6 crothchets and a minim; then I use to get them to change the forst oair of crotchets to a dotted C and a quaver and explaina all that stuff.
    The Sousa suggestion is good as you can focus on countermelody. Don't forget Eric Coates too (Dambusters). Mendelssohn Wedding March - the list is endless and you need to decide what YOU like as you are teching it.
    All best

6. midnightoil

midnightoil New commenter

There are some bits and bobs in TES resources and I've just added a sheet of my own.

7. Thanks so much guys, really helpful things there.
    I feel much better about teaching it now - I did use the Star Wars theme today and that went quite well with the more difficult classes!

8. I use this theme too sometimes and usually start with the idea that most marches are in 2/4 time or perhaps 6/8 if they are 'bouncy'. This translates to Left-Right-Left-Right quite well and means that you can easily compose your own marches on a keyboard or similar.
    Get them marching up and down to simple riff you compose yourself. "march of the mods" from the sixties is a good example of a simple suitable tune. Just alternate notes.
    Hope that helps