1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marble run club?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EBC, Aug 16, 2019.

1. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Would this work as an after school club?

I've heard of lego club.... But do you think this one would? Was hoping to show a few YouTube clips of some amazing extreme runs... Hopefully to inspire them.

If you've seen my post before, I was thinking of running a, space club but after talking to another teacher friend she sort of put me off with the amount of resources and planning I'd need to do.

Do you have any ideas for an after school club, that might be easy to run, but isn't too artsy. Parents have asked for more variety.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yes, we have one. Rec-Yr2 and it is very popular.

EBC likes this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Like the sound of this. You could also have domino rally as an option - similar sort of thing.

freckle06 and EBC like this.
  4. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Oh okay!

I thought I'd hear some points about it sounding boring. Might give it a go then.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Nooo definitely not boring.
    And dead easy to sort out each week.

EBC likes this.
  6. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Sounds brilliant. My boy would have loved it in primary school, problem solving and lots of fun. In fact marble was one of his first words, although it was 'marmal'.

caterpillartobutterfly and EBC like this.
  7. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

I agree - and lots of chance for children to cooperate and perhaps interact with those of a different age. All good!

8. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Good for fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination too!

9. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Thank you. I guess I'd need to order a few boxes to have enough for the club. I'll keep my eyes open for any offers.

10. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I teach UKS2 and have a significant collection of marble run pieces collected over time as I tend to buy a set most years to replace any broken parts (the plastic can go brittle and crack on the oldest pieces). This increases the size of my collection as there are always more pieces in the new set than broken pieces needing to be replaced.

In every class I have, at every opportunity they get, there are children who will get the marble run pieces out and make the most elaborate runs they can. Sometimes at the end of a wet play we do our next lesson with a half completed marble run going around the room and the kids waiting to get back to it at lunchtime.
    Over the course of an academic year I can see how their design develop.

Marble runs are fantastic and a club would be a huge success in any primary school. The only obstacle would be needing enough pieces to allow imagination to have full reign.

EBC, freckle06 and Lucy2711 like this.