1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marbella schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by WelshMags, Feb 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. expat2001

expat2001 New commenter

I spent a number of years working in Spain and I am familiar with a number of schools in the area you refer to WelshMags. PM me if you want.

thesmoothgroove and WelshMags like this.
  2. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

That's really useful to know! I have messaged you ( see conversations).

3. bridging

bridging New commenter

I think if you are planning on going to Spain and it is your only option then just be prepared. Be prepared for:

1. Low salary - you should be able to get by day to day but saving for the future will be limited.
    2. Weak senior leadership who are protected by middle leaders who do as they are told (and have been hired because of this)
    3. Bullying by middle/senior leaders in order to establish compliance. Speaking out or questioning things is frowned upon.
    4. Outdated facilities/procedures/ideas.
    5. Schools being run for profit - even if it is stated otherwise.
    6. Students who are not motivated to learn (of course there are exceptions); average student behaviour.
    7. No or little professional development.
    8. High workload/contact hours with large classes.
    9. Pushy parents who always seem to get what they want despite the experience and knowledge of teaching staff.

Finally be prepared to 'put up and shut up' or you will simply be told to 'find another school to work in'. If you are happy to sacrifice your professional integrity then you'll be just fine. If you come prepared and know what to expect you'll also be fine. This is of course only my experience of one school....there may be other schools out there that fare better along this part of the coast.

dumbbells66 and WelshMags like this.
  4. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Have messaged you. Thank you!

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Stop being so negative about Spain...dont you realise its full of happy hapoy well paid teachers that have never had any issue with students and are massively happy with all their schools and how they are run:)

Oh wait...im felling dizzy againo_O

6. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Must be all that going round in circles repeating yourself! ;)
    I know what you think, but I am hearing some alternative views. If I try it out, I'll be sure to let you know how I get on:rolleyes:.

7. debbie4us

debbie4us New commenter

Feel free to start a conversation with me Welshmags. I can probably give you the information you are looking for.

WelshMags likes this.
  8. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

@WelshMags - start a conversation with me and I may be able to offer some insight into schools in that area.

WelshMags likes this.
  9. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Thanks have messaged you.

10. josevalcarcel

josevalcarcel New commenter

I might wander off a bit. I am a teacher from Spain but funny enough I have not worked there yet. From my experience, is difficult to believe that Spanish pupil´s behaviour is much worse than the British. I used to work in a school in Gillingham (Kent) and it was the worst working experience in my entire life, unbearable.
    On the other hand, in terms of wages, you can easily find a decent place in Spain for the amount you pay for a single room in England, no wonder the salary is kinda peanuts, but goes a long way, which is what really matters.
    In any case, I appreciate these opinions as I was pondering the idea of coming back and now I will think twice. Cheers

WelshMags likes this.
  11. Sandintoes

Sandintoes New commenter

Hi WelshMags! I actually teach at the school you referred to. It's not the students there who are at fault. They are delightful, some of the most polite and hard-working I've known. I love them. I teach upper KS2 and KS3 and I've been there ten years, so I've seen quite a lot. To be honest, if I had my time over, I wouldn't come here. Spain is so hard. So much bureaucracy, everything an effort, and that's apart from the school! I wish I could go back to the UK ( gasps!!!) and get decently paid, because that's the biggest drawback. We haven't even had cost-of-living rises for at least 8 years. Prices keep going up and what's going to happen after Brexit is a constant worry. Although it all seems very nice on the face of it, with lots of sun and sangria, I wouldn't advise anybody to come and work here.

12. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Thanks for your reply. Can you dm be about which school you work at? I mentioned a few, so not sure which you mean. UK is hard too at the moment - for different reasons, but I can understand the frustration over pay. I wouldn't be intending to teach in Spain in the long term - I'm close to retirement age but love teaching and would just like a bit of an adventure for a year or so. I'm still deliberating, so any info on specific schools gratefully received.

13. bat007

bat007 New commenter

Hi WelshMags,
    I'm new to this forum, and don't know how to send a private message. Can you send me a private message please?

thesmoothgroove likes this.
  14. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Have started a conversation with you.

15. thesmoothgroove

thesmoothgroove New commenter

Can you suggest a place ?

16. thesmoothgroove

thesmoothgroove New commenter

Same here welshmags I can’t work out how to message you and would like to find out more from you

17. andrewkpyoung

andrewkpyoung New commenter

Is there anyone who might be able to send me a private message about a school in Torremolinos?

18. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

If so , please message me too!

19. andrewkpyoung

andrewkpyoung New commenter

Welshmags, are we competing for the same job again........:)

20. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Hee hee - maybe! Primary or secondary?
    I haven't heard anything since applying ...