1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marbella schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by WelshMags, Feb 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Dare I ask?
    Any info on schools in this area gratefully received.
    A few places are advertising and this area is near my holiday home ...

Madamemorgan likes this.
  2. binaryhex

binaryhex Senior commenter

Rubbish pay in many Spanish schools. Behaviour often worse than UK schools.

3. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

I know about the pay - not why I'd be going. Is behaviour really an issue in international schools?

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Not an issue in all international schools at all. All mine have been amazing.....except when i taught in Spain.... they were worse than the children i taught in the behavoral unit i taught at in the UK. miketribe will be along in a minite telling you how wonderful and delightful the kids are at his school.
    Do your research

5. binaryhex

binaryhex Senior commenter

Indeed. Choose wisely. Like the UK, there are some nice schools but generally speaking, the pupils in Spain make British pupils look like trainees as far as behaviour and mucking about goes. You generally speaking, don't teach in a Spanish school if you have a choice.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Cato's here again. Delenda est España.

tb9605 likes this.
  7. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

How do I research other than on here? Nothing on international schools review on schools in the south.

8. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Is it the Spanish children? Most schools have a mixture of nationalities, so are the ones with a greater proportion of Spanish the ones to avoid?

9. dumbbells66

Try and contact teachers at the school, if they are not forthcoming then this should tell you something.

I have taught a number of Spanish students outside of spain and they really have not been the greatest at all. And before @miketribe says anything, some of them have been ex students from his school...they have been significantly less able and lazy than the rest of the students i have taught.

If you are willing to professionally let a lot of things slip, then Spain is a great place to live. But there are SOOOOOOOOOOO many other countries out there that would give you this lifestyle AND actually pay you like a professional.

10. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Hmmm, feel like I'm getting nowhere with my research!

11. alanglasgow

alanglasgow New commenter

Maybe you need to be more specific about the information you want.

12. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Most responses on the TES forums are negative re teaching in Spain, mostly coming from a small number of frequent posters. I'm just hoping to hear from someone who has actually worked recently or is currently working in a school on the south coast to see if there is a more balanced view. I have heard good things about one particular school, but it's a bit further west than we want to be. I know about the saintly school in Malaga and its problems, but I'm trying to find out about experiences in others.... Marbella, Benalmadena, Estepona etc.
    I don't want to go somewhere to end up teaching badly behaved children - been there, got the T-shirt - which is the situation described in above posts. Schools in Spain seem to have a bad reputation on here, but there are also posters who love teaching in Spain, unfortunately they don't know the schools in the area I'm interested in so haven't been able to help.

13. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

WelshMags likes this.
  14. dumbbells66

Had you considered that they are negative for a reason?
    I have worked with a number of people that have worked directly where you are asking about. Once they had escaped and worked in decent countries and schools they always say "never again", bit hopefully these might be for different schools that that you are applying for.

Best of luck....god knows you will need it

15. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Dumbells, this is a poster who particularly wants to work in Spain - I think this is a fact that you often ignore or fail to grasp on threads about Spain. Sure, we know we could earn more money/teach better behaved kids elsewhere (though speaking for my own school, it feels like a holiday compared to teaching in the UK): but many of us teach in Spain because we want to teach in Spain. This poster has made that clear, so constantly banging on about the negatives isn't really necessary. Fair enough if it was a poster who was considering Spain among a list of countries, but that isn't the case here.

16. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

I've heard better things about a golf course school in the south, it's third hand info though.

WelshMags likes this.
  17. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Thank you! Couldn’t have put it better myself. The UK isn’t exactly a great place to teach. I’m lucky to have lovely, well- behaved and motivated Y6 children this year, but I’m not happy with the data driven culture and ridiculous work load. I don’t want to end my career feeling negative about teaching, so why not have an adventure. Not the end of the world if it doesn’t work out, but just trying to find out the better choices in Spain.

new13sue and Madamemorgan like this.
  18. dufc08

dufc08 New commenter

There's a reason schools in Spain pay relatively low salaries, and schools in less desirable places can offer tasty pay packets. Spain is a lovely place to live.

Certain posters on here are very fond of mentioning their massive pay. They're less fond of mentioning the fact that they probably live in a guarded compound and would be ill-advised to walk around their chosen home city on their own, due to to security risks (including kidnapping of expats for ransom).

Everyone's free to make their own choices, but I just thought I'd mention this as an antidote to some of the Spain-bashing on here. Money isn't everything!

WelshMags, new13sue and Madamemorgan like this.
  19. dumbbells66

I retract all my negative comments about Spain. Its obviously full of happy happy teachers, working in wonderful schools with no issues at all. All of those teachers that escaped Spain and moved onto other countries must have been lying to me when they told me about all those terrible things that happened to them. They must also have lied when they all said, "i will never return to work there again".
    It is a lovely place to live, but then so are so many other countries. I wouldnt walk around part of my home town in the UK, but i feel fine where i am now. Obviously there are places i wouldnt want to go. Anyway, im off to the beach now for lunch and some cocktails. :)

20. new13sue

new13sue New commenter

Similar to tigi- I have third hand positive feedback about a school in Benalmadena. Someone who started there relatively recently and is thoroughly enjoying.

WelshMags likes this.