1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Marbella anyone?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Apr 15, 2012.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We're having 5 nights in a hotel between Marbella and Puerto Banus. So sick of staying in to sell the house ([​IMG]) we thought we'd just go for a sunshine break somewhere easy. So - no car hire, no remote location and hopefully no rain. Any thoughts about this area. We've driven through Marbella before and it was nicer than I expected. Also might get the bus to Malaga which I believe is a nice town.

2. Give Malaga a lot of time. You need to do the town proper and then do the beach too. There are some lovely beachside cafes that do great food.
    There is a lot of culture hidden away in Malaga, you need to have a good look round. Sadly we didn't quite get that right. Next time!

3. There's plenty to do around there - I go over to that area at least twice a year! Weather should be picking up and it should be quite warm now. I personally prefer places outside of Marbella. Estepona is nice if you fancy a trip out - no doubt there is a bus service to it. There's plenty of places to stop at along the coast if you're heading into Malaga too.

4. Visit Marbella Old Town (Casco Viecho). The orange blossom will have finished but there will be plenty of colour and fragrance from other blooms, Stop off in the Cathedral.
    Sit on the wall of the fountain at the top of the Avenida del Mar, then descend it's wide marble steps, admiring the Dali statues.
    Stretch your muscles on an exercise beach, enjoying the sound and light coming from the Med.
    Have a drink in a beach-side cafe and watch the people go by.
    There is also an exercise beach near the eastern breakwater at PB.
    Wander round PB at night, admiring the illuminated boats and watching the fish swimming under them. Test your knowledge of the ports of registration.
    Eat at a quay-side restaurant in PB (some are remarkably inexpensive) and study the beautiful people and their wonderful vehicles.
    Take the bus to Fuengirola and then train to Malaga (its about 100m from bus-to-train station).
    Catch the Open-Top Coach Tour (Do Benelmadena as well? 20% discount for the two, I think?).
    Eating out in the evening will be cool - take a coat or buy a shawl.
    Happy memories. Relax. Enjoy.

5. I went to Puerto banus last year and wished I spent more time in Marbella, especially the old town. You can also get a coach and do a day trip to Gibraltar to see the monkeys. Puerto Banus is nice but very hustly bustly.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

We were in Puerto Banus in February, you must see the Picasso museum in Malaga, also day trip to Tangiers via Tarifa where you can see the Cave of Hercules, Gibraltar, get to La Linea and walk across, fun if you have to wait for an aircraft to land or take off as the road crosses the runway! Go and see the apes, St Michael's Cave, lots to do there. You can even see my old school!!
    BTW did you know Gibraltar is named after the Caliph of Tarifa, Jabel Tarek=Tarek's Mountain.

7. And there isn't much there for the tourist really except for the harbour-side and all the beautiful (wealthy) people. There are expensive shops and a large department store and of course Mc Donalds too....
    Eating tends to be expensive although when we were last there a few years ago restaurants were vying for custom with set menus which were 'reasonable' - for Puerto Banus. The boys love it there because every two minutes or so a fabulously flash car will go by (slowly because it's all about being noticed!) and then park. Last time they saw a Koenigsegg and were drooling. (Couldn't see the attraction myself...)
    [​IMG]

The boys have to go and inspect them, and have their photos taken by them, as do most of the more humble souls around who can only stare. [​IMG]
    The flashy and massive yachts moored there are a sight to behold as well. The more ostentatious of owners have champagne soirees on board and it's quite fun glimpsing another world....How the other half live eh?
    We go there every few years (to stare, not pose!) because we have friends with a villa nearby. It's worth having a look. Last time we bought coffee in a little cafe there it cost a king's ransom. Choose your eating and drinking places carefully. Walk along the (long) prom towards San Pedro and some of the beach-side shacks do good food. It's nice to eat overlooking the sea.
    The boat ride over to Marbella is short and fun. We like the old Marbella and found quite a few little quirky restaurants in the backstreets, used by the Spaniards and therefore affordable.. One is very retro and all about the Spain of the 50s and 60s...lots of photos on the wall and a nice little roof terrace set with tables..but I can't remember the name of it!!!
    Have a great time!

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Thanks everyone. Getting excited now - haven't been away ( on a plane) for ages.

9. You will have a lovely time. Avenida del Mar is one of my favourite places in the world. You can do more than admire the Dali statues, get in there and have a good feel! They really are stunning. There are some lovely little tapas bars alongside and down some side streets too.