1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mapping skills in primary schools

Discussion in 'Geography' started by welsh16, Mar 19, 2009.

1. I was hoping someone would be able to give me a break down of the mapping skills children should be learning in each year in primary schools?

2. I was hoping someone would be able to give me a break down of the mapping skills children should be learning in each year in primary schools?

3. As a secondary school teacher, I think it is excellent if at end of KS2 children have had exposure to compass directions, basic OS map symbols and how these relate to real things, a very basic concept of scale on a map, and simple 4-figure grid refs.
    But please teach the latter correctly! One feeder primary, a long time ago, taught it the wrong way round, which was very difficult to undo.

4. Have a look at `12: Developing children's map understanding' on Simon Catlin's page on the Geographical Association website.

The Primary Geography Handbook also has a chapter devoted to developing map work. Why not try and obtain this from your local library - then if you like it you can purchase. It would be well worth joining the Geographical Association as you get a third off all publications if you are a member.

5. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter