1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Map Work - Primary geography

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greenie9998, Nov 5, 2008.

1. hi

I've been asked to take over the Geography co or job, from an ill member of staff.It would seem that this year the school is having hugh push on Map work. However the schemes have not yet been developed. Does anybody know of anything i could use and buy in that may help. I really don't want to have to ask my colleague.

Thanks

C

2. hi

I've been asked to take over the Geography co or job, from an ill member of staff.It would seem that this year the school is having hugh push on Map work. However the schemes have not yet been developed. Does anybody know of anything i could use and buy in that may help. I really don't want to have to ask my colleague.

Thanks

C

3. I did something similar and looked at progression in mapwork. Did pupil interviews to see what the standard was beforehand and then did some research into the progression and development of mapwork plans. Wrote a new scheme of work that encompasses this (can send it to you if you like). I then looked at how these skills could be linked into the topics that were already taught in geography, (and history topics), and put these links in the scheme of work. Did not want teachers to teach map work in isolation. Bought good quality globes, maps, atlases, aerial photographs etc rather than spending my money on schemes etc. Hope that is helpful. Intend to do pupil interview, work sampling at the end of this year to see if there is an improvement in map skills.

4. I've just taken over as Geography co-ordinator in my primary school. Was just wondering how your scheme of work worked out for mapwork? I too am trying to tackle the mapwork (or lack of!) taught throughout each year.

5. I know your post was a few years back but a mapwork scheme of work is just what I am looking for now!
    If you still have it - even if it needs uodating - I would be hugely grateful!
    many thanks

6. DFC

DFC New commenter

OS have a resource called Digimaps. Site licence £69 for a primary school - money well spent.

7. outdoormaths

outdoormaths New commenter

I was given this at a conferencehttp://www.geography.org.uk/projects/primaryhandbook/mapsandstories/4-7/ we also do not use a scheme but we looked at our topics and added in map work. Eg we added it to the ww2 and fire of london unit as well as the obvious geography units. We also use things like quik maps for digital work.

8. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

There are really good free resources from Ordnance Survey.

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/education-and-research/teaching-resources/index.html